1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Your thought on this product

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by gusbuster, Jul 8, 2003.

1. I just received a circular from one of my suppliers. In it, Ewing was pushing this new product from Nelson\Walla Walla Sprinkler Company. It converts a fixed spray into a short range rotor.

I could see myself using this in my area(most installs 98% fixed sprays used), realizing that most of you wouldn't, but looking for some thoughts. The product is called "MP ROTATOR" and you can review specs at this site:http://mprotator.com

2. jman00

jman00 LawnSite Member

That thing is pretty neat. I would love to look at one of those in action. Has anyone installed these yet or seen them in action. Since i am not installing any systems now i am kind of out of the loop. Also do you think the irrigation installers will embrace this product or just shrug it off as some new fancy thing that will not work. just a question.
  3. I have seen them work behind my Ewing Distributor.......not in the field. I don't trust anything that isn't proven...I don't want to be a Guinea Pig. The orifices are so small that the hard water in my area will ruin those things almost overnite.

I do not embrace it....neat....but I don't trust it.
  4. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

I can see using these if your converting an entire zone from sprays to rotors, especially if the sprays had been spaced to far apart. You would save some labor costs in being able to install these in place of the spray, but-

Why not just replace all sprays on a zone with Rainbird 3500's or Hunter pgm's? These heads would give you greater flexibility.

I can just see some guys replacing some of the heads on a spray zone with these, not realizing the precipatation rate will be much lower than the spray heads.

I don't believe there claim of less wind resistance with a multiple stream rotor. A single stream has always been less affected by the wind than a multiple stream.
  5. On a first install, definitely a rotor I would install. However, If you can get the same results without having to dig to install a new rotor Why not?

I just did an account(garden maintenance) client that I may actually try this if I can get permission. Heck, those nozzles can't be that much more expensive than a regular RB nozzle.

6. SamIV

SamIV LawnSite Senior Member

I have had a couple samples of these in use for about 4 months. Only two heads in an isolated bed in this zone. They have held up so far but I have not used the irrigation for 4 weeks due to the enormous amount of rain we have been having. Haven't tried them on turf yet.

My biggest concern is they only come with a 1 year warranty. I'm still skeptical about selling this as of yet. Have been using a K RAIN Mini Pro in this situation which is a short range rotor and comes with a 5 year warranty. Very neat product though. Looks real neat in action and has performed flawlessly in this bed.