Your Thoughts On A Second Year Operation

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Nelson, Nov 8, 2002.

1. Nelson

Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

Well Today I was pumping gas & another Lawn Service
    also was pumping gas. He finished first pumping gas, went
    in & payed & came back out.

So he nodded @ me & I nooded back. Then I said how R things going....He said very well. A super nice guy.....

He asked was I a Solo op... Said yes ...He said me too....
    Then he proceded to give #'s...

He said he will make $60,000 NET this year SOLO
    + stated this is his 2nd year in biz.

Had 2 Mowers one 36" toro...other 48" Toro W/b + Echo weedeaters etc. etc.....

My question is ............. Do U think it is possible to create this
    revunue in your second year? As a Solo Op?

Your thoughts & Opinions R welcome.........:confused:

2. rcav8er

rcav8er LawnSite Member

Boy I sure hope so! I'll be starting my second year in the spring and it would be nice to turn that kind of profit. If I can gross 60K with this business I'll would have to take a serious look at my original career. Aircraft maintenance and a 200 mile a day commute is hell. 9-11 really screwed up the Airline Business for alot of people.
    I have to say it's great to be your own boss these day's.

3. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it possible for a solo op to net 60k?.... with the right jobs I think it might be.

However if the equipment you saw is all he has I dont think he is pulling in that much. He would have to have some big commercial accounts.

If you figure 30% for taxes he would have to gross around $85,500.00, and that does not take into consideration the cost of equipment, insurance, gas, oil, repairs, etc.

Sounds unlikely in this case.

4. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

$60,000 net in second year is possible with hard work and luck, but why is that guy bragging and telling you how money he made or is gonna make? Would you go around telling everyone how much you made? I'm not saying he was lying, but he could be. Could full of BS.

5. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

possible

but i would say very exceptional, one could be netting far less in their second year and still be doing very well...

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

in my opinion, no. do the math, with those walk behinds, and being totally solo, id say tops he can do 50 lawns a week. at the size he would be able to handle, id say they average at about $30 a piece, thats $1500 per week gross x 4 weeks =$6000 . the most he can do is 10 months of cutting season, and thats pushing it. thats a gross of $60, 000 a year. so, even if he has a crappy truck, and minimal equipment, is over head is still around $10, 000. thats a gross gross of $50, 000. pay your taxes, and u can take home about $40, 000. but this is only if he truly has the work i mentioned, wich i think is unlikely in his second year. and how long can he last cutting 50 lawns with walk behinds? and how can he build? his overhead will go up, and so on. in my opinion, he was bullcrappin ya

7. nu83

nu83 LawnSite Member
    from omaha

He could do it, it would be at the top range of a solo operator but it is possible. He would have to have a paid for truck and equipt. and 50 accounts averaging at least 50 per, plus add on services and that would put him over 60k net.

8. dr grass

dr grass Banned

sure he could! anything is possible. but you must realize a guy that will start throwing around numbers that quick is pry full of s#!t. hey look , that rhymes!!! haha

shep :D

9. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Did you add in all the money he's making sub-contracting tree work, concrete work, wall work, apps, etc? He's making that money all while he's out mowing. Maybe he only mows a few accounts and concentrates on hardscapes? Who knows?

I think its possible, depending on the services he offers / handles.

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If all he is doing is lawn servicing I think it's a slim chance for 1 man to net that much money solo in 2 years.

He could if:

1. He's not paying taxes.
    2. His equipment is brand new and was given to him. (No repair overhead or payments)
    3. He's lowballing everybody (you gotta get the work) which resulted in #4.
    4. He's working sunup to sundown 7 days a week.

But then he could just be an incredibly talented salesman in which case he's in the wrong business. If he's that good he should be up on Capitol Hill selling defense contracts and making millions a year.