1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Your thoughts on drain valves?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by rvsuper, Jul 15, 2003.

1. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

I was thinking of and idea on saving time for more installs this fall instead of winterizations.

I was thinking that if you would put a boiler drain in the basement (right after POC), so you could drain the PVB to the basement, one after the PVB, one on the manifold, so it drains the manifold when you shut the main valve off. For the laterals, one drain valve after every valve, then one on the last head.

Good idea or should I stick to the "blow out" procedure?
  2. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

When I installed ours, I used a 1" copper service line in the basement, and I installed a 1" drain valve. Instead of blow outs, I vacuum out from the basement.
  3. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

WHAT???? You suck the entire system out with a vacuum? How big is the system? How big is the vacuum?
  4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

We always did a drain directly after the POC, on the copper ell as it 90s up the the PVB, and one in the manifold. And no drains after that. Most homeowners can't figure out how to drain that much, never mind 2-4 more drains on each zone. And I hate - absolutely hate- auto drains. Replaced 60 feet of 1.5" PVC pipe in a trench with 3 other pipes due to an auto drain not opening up.

Blow it out. You know all the water will be out because you can see it leaving. Not hoping that it drains or that the pipe is sloped properly to the drain.

Plus auto drains waste water by opening up after every cycle and draining all that water in a few concentrated areas.
  5. aquamtic

aquamtic LawnSite Senior Member

Dana, Can you please explain how yand what you install on the manifold for drainage. I have a customer that insists on a self drain system and will take full respondsability if it fails. I would rather stay away from installing drains at the end of each zone line.
  6. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I got a new customer today who is just a know-it-all.... I fixed about 7 leaks... all on the lowest spot on the zone... I tried explaining to him he wasn't being winterized properly but he finally decided he knew what was wrong... he needs to fill his system up with antifreeze in the fall... I couldn't win an argument with him all day so I let him run with it... I definitely want to see how he does this
  7. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

boiler drain before the PVB will not pass inspections in most areas. It would become a concern for possible cross contamination. Automatic drains don't always function correctly. The best way to winterize is to blow the water out.
  8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Aquamatic - here are a few photos of manual drains in manifolds I work on. Are you just unfamiliar with the auto drains? The auto drain could just be substitued for the manual drains in these photos.

sprinkler drain1.jpg
  9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Another manifold drain

sprinkler drain2.jpg
  10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

And another drain