1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Your Thoughts on These Bent Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Speedy, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Speedy

Speedy LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

I have 3 pictures that I'm going to post. These blades came off of a 61" Scag Turf Tiger. These blades haven't hit anything. As you will see it is 2 different kind of blades. Has any of you had blades to bend in this particular place? This is the 2nd set we have had do this.

2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Those are a couple big nics there....are you sure you didnt hit anything??;) ;)

Ive never seen them bend like that unless something was whacked. What type of blades??
  3. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I also have 61"turf tiger,my blades doesn't look like that..:confused:
  4. GLAN

GLAN Banned

We've had blades bend like that.

Cheap metal and way to hot when grinding is the answer.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

You hit something solid with that blade. The bow in the blade is just left of those big nicks (and I mean big). And I can tell that that blade is fairly new as well by the amount of cutting surface it has.

BTW, is it new or has it been sharpened yet?
  6. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Try the MEG MO blades . The knives swing to avoid what happen to your blade.
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think he wants a different blade to try...he's trying to figure out what happened to this one.
  8. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I have two sets of solid foil Excaliburs that have some damage (not the brand new notched ones in my thread from a couple days ago). I don't remember hitting anything hard or big enough to do that kind of damage, but nevertheless I have two trashed sets sitting in the shop :confused: Guess they just aren't that durable.
  9. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

are you sure that the bend in the blade is just a little to much rake??
  10. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I would definitely be yelling at my guys if I saw blades like that. I have never had blades bend like that under normal circumstances. Just from the look I would say something was definitely hit. :cool: