1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Your thoughts please

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tramahor, Mar 16, 2004.

1. tramahor

tramahor LawnSite Member

Ok guys here's the deal.....
    A big company approched me about lawn aeration. To make a long story short here is there deal. They provide all the advertising, bill collection and all admin work. They give you a printed route the day before and you go aerate the lawns the next day. This is under contract and they promise at least 15 accounts a day if thats what you want to work. Also you tell them what part of town you want to work in. Here in Sacramento the majority of lawns are in the 1000-3000 ftsq. range (small) The compensation is ( I think poor for me being licensed and insured ) They give you 33% of what they bill for and you get paid at the end of the week. The big plus that I see is they don't care if you contract with the homeowner for maintence. I figure if someone is willing to pay for aeration chances are they are willing to pay for maint. Just think, this is a big foot in the door to have names of the homeowners and being able to leave them a door hanger. I would have it say I am the contractor that did the aerating on you lawn and if you need service please call. What do you think?:confused: Thank You for you consideration.

Stone Creek Landscaping
  2. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you get any type of guarantee that they won't be doing the same thing with another contractor for the maintenance?

Looks like they have found a way to make money without busting their ass or dealing with the employee hassles.

You do the work, provide the insurance, fuel, wages, equipment, and they only keep 67%.

Do they give you a minimum or can the sales rep set up the deal for whatever it takes to get the aeration job?
  3. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

It might be a great way to break into a new market if you don't already have a lot of customers who aerate. You will end up working your butt off, but may still be able to gross around $800/day. Then after the first year you wouldn't need to use them anymore. It's something that I would consider.
  4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Where do you punch the time clock? Their place or yours? No thanks. I'll get my own business and keep ALL the money.

TYLAWN LawnSite Member

Do their job, get cozy with the customers and if the customers give you some maintenance stuff move in for the hostile take over of the whole account next year. Your already doing everything except billing for the full amount of the account anyway.
  6. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Not only that but you will also know what each customer is willing to pay the next year.
  7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would get a non-compete clause signed
  8. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

i think the administrative aspect of owning a business is a monsterous time commitment, not to mention complex. anyone can aerate a lawn.
  9. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Yousupply all the equipment,manpower,and operating expenses and you get 33%. Sounds to me the numbers are backwards.Run like the wind because they are chasing you with a jar of KY . Whats the name of this big co. Tru Green ?
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

What in the world could a 100 to 3000 sq.ft. lawn go for, even out there? If they have say, a 60$ minimum, then you get a whopping 20 bucks. Ok, minus your gas, your wear and tear on the equip., and then you pay your taxes, well, you could go work for tru-brown, muscling around one of THEIR aerators, and make more money.