Your Thoughts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tjcezar, May 5, 2003.

1. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

What would you guys bid for repair 2500 sq ft of grass that is totalyy dead. Access is real easy and it seems like everything could go smoothely. Me being new to this figured about $750 total. Your thoughts Please! How would you repair?:D

2. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Why is it dead?

3. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

First thing I would do is go and price the sod that would be needed for the job. Then you have price of tiller you can rent these. The amount of Man hours etc..... Work this out then you can start thinking of what to charge.

Steve

4. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

Don't know why it died but after winter my customer now has a big patch of brown grass. It almost looks like maybe her lawn guy from last year burned it My thoughts were to rent a power rake and tare up the soil and sod and maybe mix about an inch of topsoil to the area and then seed and fertilize. Any comments?

5. jkkalbers

jkkalbers LawnSite Member

It almost sounds like dogs killed the grass. One dog would have trouble killing that much grass. But I've seen 2 dogs kill large areas of grass, especially male dogs.

6. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

No Dogs either. I can't figure it out

7. airborne1

airborne1 LawnSite Member

MAYBE SOMETHING WAS SPILLED THERE AND CAN'T BE SEEN OR IS IT REALLY SHADED THERE? I WOULD DO A SOIL TEST FIRST TO SEE IF SOMETHING KILLED IT OR ITS MISSING SOMETHING. YOU DON'T WANT TO HEAR "WE SPENT THIS MUCH MONEY AND IT DIED AGAIN WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT". :dizzy:

8. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Is that what you would charge to do a project like that. Another customer had come to me and would like to have her front yard reseeded. I measured it out and it came to within a couple feet of 1500 sq. ft. Now I came up with a price of $1790 for this job which includes me performing the following tasks.

1) Renting a sod cutter and removing the existing lawn
    2) Load all the grass and dirt taken out by sodcutter in pickup bed.
    3) Have 3" of screened topsoil be applied over entire area to be planted
    4) Apply seed
    5) Apply peat moss

does this sound about right or am I off? By the way, the grass that is there now is sod and it came out terrible becuase it was poorly maintained so sod is out of the questiona dn I don't have a hydroseeder so that's out too. It's all by hand :D

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Better do a soil test before you go any farther.

10. NC Big Daddy

NC Big Daddy LawnSite Senior Member

...........AIRBORNE1 Turn off the CAPS lock on your keyboard. It's hard to read anything in all CAPS.

............Lawnkid how did you come up with that price? Pull it out of a hat?.......Geeeeez more pricing information from a14 yr old child.