Your tips to keep pumps from freezing

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by HoseJockey, Feb 1, 2007.

1. HoseJockey

HoseJockey LawnSite Member
    from Memphis

Any tips on how ya ll treat when its so cold?

The only thing I can do is, at the end of the day make sure I spray out all but 20-30 gallons out of the tank. The next morning I start the motor, open the valve to release pressure off the system, lock the trigger on the gun, and open the lid and circulate it back in to the tank. I guess the same concept as leaving your water dripping at the house when temps are so cold. Although, I hate traveling with the lid off.

Yesterday morning I did this as usual because it was 15 degrees. I get to the prop. to fill the water. I get out of the truck and realize something doesn't seem right. Walk around the truck and realize the motor died on the way. Never had a problem with the motor before so I guess it was due to the cold temps. I got up on the truck and moved the hoses and they were froze solid.
    Forgot to mention we have the famous Lesco Space Saver. 200/gal.

Any tips on how you guys up north keep this from happening its appreciated.

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

you can get ATV/Snowmobile grip heaters that run on DC. If there is any metal on the pump you can use a small block heater to keep it from freezing while you're at the shop. Those run on AC.
  3. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

What are you spraying when its 15 degrees outside?
  4. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

My question too. I start spraying in March and it still freezes at night, I put a tarp over my sprayer, then put a light-bulb under the tarp, right by the pump, never had a problem.
  5. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

I've used this method before, myself.....
  6. HoseJockey

from Memphis

I knew this was coming.
    We are having a warm winter down here. Next week it will probably be back to mid 60's during the day.
    Putting down a split rate pre-m. Spot for onions and a little poa when temps allow.
  7. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

way would you take a chance spraying anything with the possibility of it freezing on a plant, grass or the otherwise? thats worse then spraying in the rain. if business is that tight i'd push a spreader to do the apps. atleast its just your spreader tracks and foot prints that are killing the lawn.
  8. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is what the folks who built my sprayer told me:

Remove the filter from the suction line, and then start the engine. This will evacuate virtually all liquid from the pump, as the pump is sucking air.

Another method is to circulate soluble potash through your tank and system, as it is very unlikely to freeze due to the high salt content.
  9. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

here is what i do in the fall.

1. remove the suction and return line from tank
    2. disconect the line to the hose reel
    3. cut the top off a bottle of RV anti-freeze
    4. run the pump until the jug is empty
    5. blow compressed air thru the hose reel (with the spray gun removed)
    5. throw a electric blanket over the tank, set on high
    6. throw a tarp over the blanket/tarp (to keep moisture off the blanket) and secure.

sounds like alot, but takes less then 10min.

the fert and the potash do have high salt content, but my tanks have froze/slushed up at around 25, mainly the hose.
  10. HoseJockey

from Memphis

Thanks for the help