your workshop

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassassassin, Jan 27, 2003.

1. grassassassin

grassassassin LawnSite Member

I'm getting ready to put up a workshop to house my equipment and office. Approximate size is about 100 x 50. Just wanted to know a little about yours. What you like, what you wished you had done that you didn't. Any ideas on getting building plans for something like this. I did an extensive search but turned up nothing close to the size I want. If you have pics then go ahead and post em. Thanks, look forward to hearing about what you have.

2. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

My workshop is a garage, single car. Don't have the measurements but it's not big enough. I keep my stuff on the trailer. The only thing I can recomend is make sure it's big enough.
    A 100x50 would suit me just fine. Good Luck !

Lou

3. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

If I were building a shop that large I would build it so I could drive thru. Build two doors in to it so that you can pull truck and trailer in and out and never have to unhook trailer. In one door and out the other.

Pull in at night, close the doors and you're done. No loading, unloading, hooking up, unhooking, etc.

Also, garage door openers on both ends.

And, if you ever think you will have (or already have) more than one rig, with that size, you could have 2 drive thrus..

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I have an 800 sq ft garage with 11' walls and a loft above. I am starting to outgrow it. I want to add on and will have a drive thru as you explain.....that would be sweet.

MATT

5. 220 service
    don't forget to plan for welding equipment and a large compressor.

6. greenngrow

greenngrow LawnSite Senior Member

If all possible have the building so that you can drive thru with truck and trailer. I am in the process of designing a drive shed onto my existing shop.. My plans are bigger than my wallet

The present shop area is 1350 sq ft. Would like to expand this to 3000 more feet under roof. This addition would be for storage and the drive thru.

7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Several key things to think about:
    1. It can never be big enough.
    2. Make it if at all possible so that you can just pull through and not have to unhook/unload equipment each day.
    3. Have a slop sink for cleaning up.
    4. Install drains in the concrete floor so you can wash equipment indoor if it is really cold.
    5. Have the design logically thought out of how to set it up such as where the workbench will be, blade sharpener, office, bathroom etc. You don't want the blade sharper right next to the office. Makes it hard to talk on the phone.
    6. Have a shower installed.

Best of luck. This is something that can really make your life easier if designed correctly.

Gravely_Man

8. grassassassin

grassassassin LawnSite Member

thanks for all the great ideas and comments. Plans are currently for four garage doors ( Two traffic lanes). Buddy of mine also said be sure not to hook up your drainage to the sewer line. He did that and you could hardly work with the stinch in that garage.
    thanks again

9. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I like the idea of pulling the whole truck in one door and out another. No backing. Just make sure you put those concrete filled metal poles near both sides of all the doors inside and out.

I think I would have a locker room for employees, or if it's just you, a shower room where you can change. I think the one thing I dislike the most about having the shop at my house is tracking grass and stuff on my wife's carpets. BAD BAD landscaper! :angry:

10. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 30x40x10' walls, with a 10 foot overhang on one side. Should have built bigger. It will be wood heated by my outdoor woodstove, currently house is :) , I might put up a 30x50 with 10' walls this spring, no sides at first, will add as $ comes along, just to get truck/trailer under it for cover.