Your worst lawn cut?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

Anyone ever have anyone work for them that cut lawns like this? My part time guy that has been mowing lawns with me for the last month did this....

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/559340212lQklgo

Click on the link, i want you to actually see the pictures in their larger size. My 53 year old father and my girlfriend cut 100x better than this after only 3hrs on the mower. Theres many other problems with the cut quality besides this but the obvious is the mowing/missing grass. What baffles me is that my machine does 10mph/5' wide and i can have both of these lawns cut in about an hour, me on the mower from start to finish before trimming etc. He was on the mower for over an hour and a half and didnt cut anything? I actually had to take him home at the end of the day and come back for one more lawn in this development because we ran out of time.

Ive been on top of him often trying to make sure he improves his quality of work for me but common, how can this not be blatantly obvious while mowing the lawn? It was done on my Ferris 61" mower on 1.5 acre lawns, actually the pictures are two 1.5 acre lawns side by side. Im lucky to still have the customers even after i credited back the whole lawn cut cost to their contract.

2. Turf Professionals Inc.

Turf Professionals Inc. LawnSite Member

Just a question here, but did you check any of his qualifications before hiring him? I know it seems crazy for us, but some people have never stepped on a wb or a ztr. I believe you did the right thing with crediting your clients back. I believe you may have saved some business that way and may have even heightened your level of integrity with your clients. So, job well done on that! This guy obviously needs some training. I probably would not let him cut without me around until I felt comfortable with his quality of work. After all, anything worth doing, is worth doing dang good!

3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

first off. no disrespect meant. but that ain't much of a lawn...On a grass that thin I could see missing a few spots due to not being able to tell if itsbeen cut or not...

I'd venture to say, and I've done more than once. in that I've turned the blades on and started cutting with out dropping the blades down into the proper height.

that may explain the "took so long" but still doesn't account for the gaps in the cut....

May need to find a new helper or change his pay based on ability...When you start hitting people in the wallet they tend to change their habits mighty quick...

And checking reference is by far becoming a joke. A lot ofr companies will only verify that "yes He She Worked for us" They don't want to get pulled into court when they give someone a bad reference...and the past employee pitches a fit...and finds a greedy lawyer....

4. fargoboy

fargoboy LawnSite Member

I think you need to take him down to Pearl Vision and let him utilize that VisionCare medical benefit that you provide him

5. Mic_bug

Mic_bug LawnSite Member
    from N.B. MI

agreee ain't much there to see a cut no cut

6. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

Well the pictures always are different than when your standing there in person.... or sitting on the mower. Granted your only cutting off ~1inch or more for this cut, its 2-3 days after the lawn was last cut so its grown a little after last weeks dry spell...

Some of the taller weeds are 8" tall though so its fairly easy to make sure your hitting all the grass. If any of the other LCOs out there have some pictures like this i guess you should post em up:clapping:

7. Ted Bell

Ted Bell LawnSite Member

Give the guy a break. This lawn almost looked better uncut!

8. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

how long did you train the guy to cut? or did you just show him how to run the machine and say go for it?

9. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

If you trained this guy, he's probably untrainable.....

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Too bad there isn't some sort of test you can give people to see what sort of work habits they have.

The guy who lives across the street from me has been bugging me for a job since early Spring. He's 44 years old, has been unemployeed for a couple of years now and is about 100 pounds overweight. That isn't why I won't hire him.

This past January I offered to let him do some work at my house since he said he could do drywall work and he said was a painter. My drywall is actually plaster and he said that was no problem.

Well he did a crappy job on the cracks I had in my plaster and I had to get him back repeatedly to do it right. Then I had him paint 2 interior doors for me and he never even finished that job.

He didn't know it but he was on his job interview then and he failed miserably.