You're a scab if...?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by guyotlawns, May 23, 2004.

1. guyotlawns

guyotlawns LawnSite Member

Hi all,

I am a new member to the forum and also new to the biz. I have a question about the competitors in my area(Central Florida).

Like most, I see many lawn services in my travels, often with new trucks, trailers, equipment, etc.., and more often than not, no company name, phone. The first thing I did when I started was invest $165.00 bucks to logo my truck doors.

So. are you classified a "scab" if you operate a Lawn biz without any identfying info on your rig?
  2. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

If you're not licensed, then you're illegal. As fas as I'm concerned that's the only thing that makes a lawn cutter a "scab" or "scrub" as they are called here.
  3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Not all states or cities require licensing for Landscape Maint.
  4. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

My definition:

Scrubs are law breakers. By breaking the laws, they have a tremendous cost advantage over a law abiding LCO.

Scrubs don't collect and pay sales tax.
    Scrubs don't whithold and pay income & social security taxes on their labor.
    Scrubs don't pay unemployment taxes on their labor.
    Scrubs don't pay overtime at time and a half.
    Scrubs apply pesticides without the proper license & insurance.
    Scrubs don't pay income, social security & unemployment taxes on their own personal earnings.

Breaking any one of these laws, in my opinion, makes you a scrub. It's very easy to do because, from what I've seen, there exists not an ounce of law enforcement within the green industry. You can avoid all these costs for decades on end and probably never get caught. And when/if you do get caught, you'll probably not be faced with back taxes and penalties and interest, but rather, a stern warning to start compliance with the law going forward. At least, that's what my conversation with the state comptroller's enforcement officer leads me to believe.

DFW Area Landscaper
  5. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm sure someone here will classify it that way. That's what Lawnsite does, name-calling.
    One's method of advertisement is their own personal decision. It doesn't put them into any special class. One may have enough work for their schedule and would merely be wasting their own time fielding phone calls for more work when they are already full.
  6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Around here there are several of us guys without anything on our rigs. No phone number, no name, etc. One or two have their BU # for their applicators license.

We are generally considered the "cream of the crop" as far as workmanship goes. We don't have to or want to advertise.

Plus, all you usually get with truck lettering is price shoppers.

I like the customer who says....MOW IT! and BILL ME.

When I was a kid starting out in the 80's I ran a newspaper ad and magnetic signs on the truck for a few years. Got a few good jobs, none of which I currently have, but mainly got PITA lawns that people wanted done for nothing.
  7. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

your a scab if you have to ask about scabs in a forum!
  8. Rather Be Fishing

Rather Be Fishing LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Absolutely not.

I wouldn't hire any contractor just because he has a rolling billboard. Lots of solo guy's trucks double as personal transportation and they might not want their business following them everywhere they go. I chose magnetic door signs that I could remove at will but haven't used them for years. I think a clean truck and a reasonably well groomed operator who does good work looks every bit as professional as a huge outfit with huge lettering on their sideboards or trailer. I've been picking up mowing accounts in some new developments and definitely considering using the signs in hopes of picking up a few more. With the phone number right where they can see it they don't have to ask around.

I think it's an advertising option but not a requirement.

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

have to agree, even though I have detailing on my truck, that doesn't make someone that doesn't have it a scab or scrub.
  10. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

There are a TON of guys here that are the BIG BOYS as far as landscapers....and they dont have lettering on their trucks. I can think of one in specific that doesnt even put a large ad in the phone book anymore due to the fact that he recives 5 times as much work as his crew can handle. He took the lettering off of his trailer just because of that reason.