1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

You're gonna love this, a Trugreen landscape story....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ijustwantausername, May 8, 2014.

1. Ijustwantausername

Ijustwantausername LawnSite Bronze Member

So I was talking to my mulch/pine straw supplier the other day and he was telling me how his boss' landscape company bid on a local city's landscape contract for the year, he didn't get the bid. He then went on to tell me how his relative works for the city and is in control of overseeing the bids. He said "you want to know how much Trugreen bid for 900 yards of the brown designer mulch? (which is $28/yard contractor price everywhere) I said how much? $34/yard installed.... I couldn't believe what I heard. And he looked at me and said "yeah I know" $6 profit/yard for 900 yards!!!!! How on earth do they do that?? And of course who do you see mowing the right-of-ways these days? Trugreen.

He also said Trugreen called him the other day asking about that much mulch... I've ordered as much as 30 yards at a time and even then I maybe got $20 off the entire price. Even with a bulk discount that would at best put them at $40/yard I would think? More power to em.
  2. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

They're losing their butt on that job. Awesome.
  3. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

I highly doubt they are paying $28 per yard for mulch. We don't. About half that.

900 yards would be blown in.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. CreativeLawncareSolutions

How many yards can be blown in an hour and how many guys does the blower need to operate effectively? What else do you need to load the blower? A bobcat?
  5. whiffyspark

One blowing one driving and a third person is helpful with a pack back

Largest straight truck holds 60 yards at a time and can do about 12-15 an hour with content operator.

And yeah bobcat or loader.

Did the upsell anything? That's the key to their price. If they up seller bed maintenance or treatments that's where their profit is going to lie
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

They have deep pockets. So they are low balling on purpose. They want to put the local competition out of business. Then they raise the prices.

Just like Wal Mart and all the other large corporations method of doing business.
  7. CreativeLawncareSolutions

It's obviously razor thin, but when you have 2000 locations nationwide it adds up quickly. and they keep good people employed so it's hard to complain really.
  8. whiffyspark

I'm wondering if they brought trucks now. I pay $35 a yard to have it blown in and they include labor. But we've never done over 100. When I worked for a large company before we had a 300 yard job we did every spring. But that was a small Finn blower that we shovel out of the dump trucks.

I know davey subbed a location in Maryland to be blown by a company in Ohio. They had two trucks down here

When you hear numbers like this you have I find out what else is in the contract. That is the key to this lol. I have a lawn maintenance contract for $1500/year. It takes me literally 5 minutes every week. But they have 10 yards of mulch and 2 hours of bush trimming every year.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. hurley'sland22

hurley'sland22 LawnSite Member

Was this by chance for wake forest?

Trugreen subs out all of their mulch and straw and from what I have seen, it's always done by hand.
    We just won a 1200+yd contract over trugreen a couple weeks ago and now they are trying to sub out to us.
  10. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

You gotta have a good operation to make prices like that profitable. Skid loaders are a waste of time. They just need two express blowers and a slinger.

120 yards in 1 day, 3 neighboring houses. The blower trucks were gone by 2pm. Easily could have done 200 yards if needed.