1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

You're gonna love this, a Trugreen landscape story....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ijustwantausername, May 8, 2014.

1. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

120 and 900 is a big difference. Slinger trucks are hard to find in our area. We used to stage the mulch and load it with cat loader.

That's a great idea though. When I worked for a company we had a tow behind that had a chute on the front. And you would just push the mulch off the dump into the truck. Worked great

I've gotten more into material delivery my self. May look into a blower for next year I know I can keep one busy easily
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Right, 200 isn't 900. But my point was that with 2 35ish yard blower trucks, mulch moves quickly. And larger ones are available. If TruGreen, or whoever they sub it out to, is able to move a couple hundred yards a day with minimal man power , then they can turn a profit.
  3. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

I can do 12-15 yards an hour by myself.
    With a pitchfork and a wheel barrow.
    In 100 degree weather.

As for Trugreen, someone the likes of Trugreen can lose millions of dollars and it doesn't slow them down much...
    These folks are bigger than Brickmann, they've been in business since like 1896 or so.
    Somehow I don't see them being concerned over a few dollars per yard on a 900 yard mulch job.
    They might, however, be glad they got the whole contract.
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
  4. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Missouri

Not Trugreen, but I was underbid on a mulch job this year.........The client called me back to fix the mulch job...Paid my original price even though I didn't have to supply the mulch...........why? He learned my price included edging, weed control, etc........not just pooping piles of mulch around the trees with no real border between the bed and the lawn.
  5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Not even sure where to start.

If it's $28\yard cost and they are installing it for $34\yard, that is not $6\yard profit.

Second, as others have said, they aren't paying $28\yd.

Third, I'm sure whiffy is correct, they will have it blown in.
  6. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

Now that's funny.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. GQLL

GQLL LawnSite Senior Member

12-15 an hour I'm sure that is misprint. It all about the whole picture not just a little mulch job all rolled into a contract they could still make good money on it.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

You guys sure have cheap mulch. Here its 35-40 for dark brown, red, orange and natural looking stuff. Saw some at 65 yard. Its fancy though. There are guys getting 55 yard with a blower. I get at least 10 more a yard to do it by hand
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Are you buying it from a supplier or a manufacture. We buy from manufacturer by semi load
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

Supplier. I don't do enough to justify buying from a manufacture
    Posted via Mobile Device