Your're not hiring, are you?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Tharrell, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I was trimming one of my lawns last week and this guy walks up to me and asked while shaking his head, "You're not hiring are you?" I considered his approach and replied, "I need someone to hire ME!".
  2. spoolinaround

spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member

lol, I have had that happen a few times, I usually tell them I just layed off my el;per and I dont need anyone else
  3. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

With a positive attitude like that, you should have scooped him up!
    I usually get a few calls from my newspaper ad, people wanting a job. I couldn't understand the last one, I think he had a mouthfull of chaw and a hawkins county accent.
  4. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Same thing has happened to me. I had some guy call me up once because I had a ad in the paper. Not a help wanted ad, it was in the service directory. Then again, last summer, I was driving to one of my accounts, I noticed this lady tailgating me. Her front bumper was probably 1-2 feet from the back of the trailer. I pull into the parking lot of the place I was going to mow. The lady in the car quickly turns around in the nearest drive and comes up to talk to me. I had a feeling she was gonna start bitching about something. She rolls down her window and says "you need any help with your job?" I say no not really. She goes "oh, well I have a young man at home who needs a job" I say well, between myself and another guy who helps me out I'm all set. She then drove off.
  5. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

I have 2 or 3 calls per month asking if I'm hiring. They get the number from YP or classifieds. One guy called in January when I was working like 2 days a week & asked if I was hiring. Complained that the LCO he was working for was running him in the ground with 60 hours a week. I started to ask if that LCO was hiring :) :)
  6. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

I would bet some of the guys who ask if you are hiring aren't serious job seekers. They just need to say they are contacting so many potential employers a week to keep their unemployment benefits.
  7. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I had a kid come up to me today and ask if i ever needed any help on the weekends. As he was talking to me, he took out a joint and started to smoke it. Beat that!

8. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

When does he start?
  9. Grass Masters

Grass Masters LawnSite Member
    from NC

What is good is when they call you and ask if you can give them an estimate and you go out and give them the estimate and they say ok go ahead and mow it and ask if you are hiring on the spot