You've got a Blank Check and ....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by naturescaretaker, Jan 14, 2005.

1. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

So here is a question:

If you had a blank check and you were starting over as a solo operator, what would you buy?

Parameters; maintenance only (about 50 accounts, 40 residential and 10 commercial) and small installs.

What kind of truck/trailer set up or maybe a Superlawn Truck style?

What kind of equipment would you have, mowers, handheld equipment, etc.

Remember, you are a solo operator doing maintenance and small installs. You have a blank check to buy whatever you need. What would you buy and use?

2. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I guess I can say I basically started over in the last year. Everything I have I purchased within a years time. The only thing I would have done differently was purchase a diesel truck & mowers.

1- Dodge 2500
    1- EZ Dumper
    1- 16' Open Trailer
    2- 72" Dixie Choppers
    1- Kubota BX1500 w/loader
    1- 22" Toro mower
    1- JRCO Spreader
    1- EZ Trench Edger
    1- Lesco 48" Tow Aerator
    1- Stihl FS85 Trimmer
    1- Stihl FS110 Trimmer
    1- Stihl HS75 Articulating Hedge Trimmer w/chainsaw attach.
    1- Redmax 7001 Blower
    1- 25 gal Compressor
    1- Boss V Plow
    1- Buyers Salt Spreader

Trimmer Trap Racks & Misc. tools - cordless impact, angle grinder, wheelbarrow, rakes, shovels, etc....

With the above equipment I feel that I can handle just about any request or task my client would need. Next year I will add a leaf loader and my set up will be complete....

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

what would i do? i'd make alot of money, not SPEND ALOT of money. 2 used pickups @ approc $2,000-$3,000 each. one 48" walk behind, one 36" walk behind, one 32" walk behind, one 21" mower. one red max backpack blower, two red max weedwackers, one with the attachable chainsaw/hedge trimmer features. a small echo chainsaw, miscelanous hand tools/wheelbarrows, etc.

4. Harleyboy52

Harleyboy52 LawnSite Member

2005 Harley Davidson edition F250 PS diesel, 20' enclosed trailer, Exmark Lazer Z's, Echo's or I'd just write it for $3,ooo,ooo. and start at #1 and play all of those 118 golf courses.

5. Lawn-Scapes

Do you think I spent too much money ($65,000.00) Bobby?

6. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

With a blank check? ah, well, um, ---- RETIRE to someplace warm!

7. bobbygedd

from NJ

i think you spent entirely too much money. 65 grand? my entire setup, cost me about $7,000

8. Lawn-Scapes

Bobby,

You have 30-35 FULL service clients and the properties average one acre and better... What would you have done differently?

9. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

Something I've pondered many times and have seemed to gravitate to:
    Ford crewcab w/ 8' dump - Not too big to drive around casually
    20 x 8' enclosed trailer w/ ramp gate - I like haulmarks landscaper w Edge pkg
    Exmark Lazer Z 60" w/ 28 hp EFI
    Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36" w/ ECS for small yards if needed
    Echo PB650 blower or wait til new Stihl is out in spring?
    Stiihl weedeaters, edger, chainsaw etc.
    Last but definitely not least: if you are landscaping by yourself, a Toro Dingo is mandatory. You will kill yourself trying to manually do all the work yourself, the Dingo takes the place of at least one helper landscaping. With attachments you'll need, it can get up close to $30,000 though.

I don't know if you want to grow or not but if you have the right equipment, do a good job, look good, and provide services for a fair price, you will have all the work you want.
    Most important, IMO, especially if you have the funds. Don't buy underpowered or undersized equipment trying to save a few upfront bucks, you'll be upgrading a lot sooner

10. bobbygedd

from NJ

well, i'm purely speculating, because i have no idea what it's like to service properties that size. we do small, 3-10k properties here. the biggest i've had was 12k, and i dumped it, because smaller properties are much more profitable. but, i'll take a stab at your 45k sq ft properties. i think i could have set myself up for around 15k