1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

You've got to be kidding me

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Twitchy, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Twitchy

Twitchy LawnSite Senior Member

Quick story, last yr about this time I went to this existing customer's (about 8 yrs) house for a new hardscape project around their pool. The project consisted of a new patio (1500sqft) random design, two 4' sheer descents, piers, sitting walls and fire pit. Gave them stone samples, a color design and a price of $32,000. Removal of the old 4'' concrete patio and other structures were included in that price. Apparently that was expensive because two weeks later there were trucks at the house laying out my design to the tee. When approached about the situation, the customer said a friend came in $6,000 less on my drawing. I was F'ING PISSED, not because i lost the job but because my design was STOLEN!!! Well i got a call in the spring to come back to this job for a planting est. and this what i saw. I laughed my a$$ of when i got back in my truck. Pay cheap, get cheap!

9 Cedar Crest stone work mess 004 2.jpg

9 Cedar Crest stone work mess 006 2.jpg

9 Cedar Crest stone work mess 007 2.jpg

9 Cedar Crest stone work mess 009 2.jpg

9 Cedar Crest stone work mess 008 2.jpg
  2. Twitchy

The biggest problem was the sheer descent wall on the pool coping (basically no footing). That wall had a pier on both sides and was finished off w/ sitting walls 24'' in height. The problem was that everything was built separately!!!(like legos) Nothing was tied together. No geogrid or any type of structural support. The customer wanted me to raise the soil level to the height of the wall for plants, i told her it could not be done unless she wanted to swim w/ this wall.

9 Cedar Crest stone work mess 001 2.jpg

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Hahahahahha they got it good and cheep
  4. teejet

teejet LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

It looks kinda shody, if I do say so.:nono:
  5. Twitchy

My favorite part of this pile of crap is the stacked seams on the fire pit. It's a FREAKING kit!!! My 17 month old son can put one of them together.
  6. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

Thats really bad!
  7. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

I'm sure they are overly excited about it though. Probably even have given the name out a few times. Now on the other hand they probably arent real happy with you for not placing the soil where they want. This should be tied in with the design thread.
  8. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

9. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

i wouldnt have put soil there as well without a properly built wall. If that wall froze in the winter and fell into the pool guess who they will go after. Smart move. I wouldnt touch it either.
  10. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

LMAO, That's great!! I am guessing by the looks of it that the patio is pitched right into that seat wall by the sand in front of it. Love the weep holes! :clapping: