1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

You've got to read this.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hortboy, Jan 9, 2004.

1. hortboy

hortboy LawnSite Member

I had a ridiculous customer call me today and inquired about a fertilizer program for 04. they just moved into the house in Nov and seem particular about there lawn. they said and i quote "start as soon as possible". I said "I can do a quick release spring fert as soon as the weather breaks in the spring". That was not soon enough for them. They actually want an application now as in Jan 8,2004. there theory being the fertilizer will be present when the snow melts and turf comes out of dormancy. Would you guys get your spreaders out and do a lawn in the middle of winter. Keep in mind we have only a dusting of snow now but the temps are around zero right now. I am supposed to call her w/ an answer on Fri. If i do it, i can assure you I will take my personal truck w/ no signs (company logo)on it.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I would first remind them that the crabgrass pre-em that you will be putting down at the appropriate time contains fert first. If they stil want the fert put down I would also get them to commit to an "as needed" lawn cutting schedule. You could also put down a temperature dependant fert that delays release until the weather warms up.

3. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

No. These people sound high maintainence.

4. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Tell them being the ground in now frozen, anything applied will be caried off in runoff from the melting snows.

5. John B Laidlaw

John B Laidlaw LawnSite Member

I agree w/ mtdmaster. You'll spend most of your time calling these people back for every little thing! You want to treat one dandelion when you're going balls-to -the -wall and have no time?
    J

6. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Give these people a shot and charge them accordingly. It is customers like these who keep you on your toes and keep your level of service high. If they do become a PITA, you can always drop them.

7. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Give the customer what they want. I certainly would try to explain that in your professional opinion it is not going to be effective. They should be able to understand that vegetation is not absorbing what is being put down, but don't get into that if it they don't care.

I would make certain this is going to lead somewhere by way of service agreement w chem program. Have that ready and explain that you sign new customers year round.
    If they turn out to be PITA, cancel them.

Arent a couple of your guys a little quick to jump the gun? I mean, if you have a customer base that allows you to turn away a shmo, that may just not know, well cool. But if your interested in growing...

MTD- what is our definition of "high maintenance"? To me, these are people that should 'pay to be picky'. They are usually in a higher end neigborhood and there is good money to be made. I agree there are PITA's that can be barely profitable and not worth the tax they put on a business owner mentally. They steal your focus and anchor your precious time. There is good trade and bad trade...these people that just moved in want their yard lookin good for the hood, too early to tell. Could be some easy money there...check it out.

8. johnbast3

johnbast3 LawnSite Member

In my opinion,after many years in the business,the "winterizer" will work just fine-a little unorthodox,but none the less it will work and you will lock the new customer in..JB

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

LOTS OF MONEY!!! ??

10. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Very Good Point.