yr end cleaning

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by SLCINC, Nov 18, 2005.

1. SLCINC

SLCINC LawnSite Member

Hello,
    This week I will be cleaning my exmark and storing it away for winter. Do you have any suggestions of other services or things to do to the mower before storing it away for the winter. Thanks,

Mo

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Thanks for your inquiry Mo,

It is best to add a stabilizer to tank and run 10 to 15 minutes to get the stabilizer into the carb.

Disconnecting the battery is important and a trickle charge with a battery charger once or twice during the winter will also help.

Thanks, Brian

3. thebland

thebland LawnSite Member

TEll, me how much stabilizer would you add to the tank(s)? One tank is empty and the other 1/2 full.

Would you then run the tanks dry?

Also, I put about 40 hours per SEASON on my Lazer HP 23HP Kohler. I changed the oil at the beginning of the season. Any need to change it now? I store it in a heated garage....

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hello thebland,
    Make sure you have gas in both tanks. Add the stabilizer to the tanks per labeled instructions and do not run gas out.
    No need to change the oil after 40 hours.
    Thanks, Brian

5. thebland

thebland LawnSite Member

Good to know...and thanks!

I'll leave a gallon in each tank. I add Stabil to all my gas, so I'll just fill the tank up with that...appreciate the info.

6. PFHunter

PFHunter LawnSite Member

thebland,
    I'd also recommend greasing everything before putting it away. That will ensure that everything is lubed before it sits still for a few months. It will keep any condensation from forming and affecting it next spring. For that reason, it can't hurt to change the engine oil either. The hydraulic system will probably be fine.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

As far as gas in the tanks.....I've been a firm believer of mixing Sta-bil, running it through the system, and then topping off the tanks to the VERY top. This prevents any condensation from forming inside the fuel tanks. With only a gallon in each tank, your leaving a LOT of room for condensation to form.