Yt 6800

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobac, Jun 29, 2003.

1. bobac

bobac LawnSite Member

I have a yamaha lawn tractor that has a v twin. My problem is that it is only running on one cylinder. I dont think the motor is shot because i have changed the oil very regularly and kept it in great shape. Is there anything i can try before i have to bring i to the dealer. I think it might be an electrical problem, something to do with the plug.

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Replace the plugs and if still nothing it's in the ignition system or wiring (more major) the plugs are quick and easy and cheap thing to test and if they don't work I'm sure you could re-use them in somethin' else.
    Never heard of a Yamaha LT?

3. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

While checking the plugs, check the air cleaner also. Sometimes an engine can be starving for air and cause it to run on only one cylinder. Is the same cylinder every time? If you can tell it's the same cylinder every time, you can swap the plugs cyl to cyl to see if they are the problem.

4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

That works too LOL I work on single cylinders more so I don't always get that option... when the ignition went on our 20hp Onan twin, it only hit one cylinder.

5. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Temp probe if you have one works good to check which cylinder is firing. The exhaust manifold on the good one will be hotter, sometimes you can tell by touching it but be careful, they can get hot rather fast.