yup, it's estimate time. lets hear the kooky stories

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Mar 19, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

let's hear any of the confrontations you are having while doing estimates. here was a good one: the guy wants a quote on full service. i give him a quote, he asks for a break down. i give him one, with the mowing @$32 per. he says the prices are all ok, except the mowing. he says he can't afford that much, cus since moving into his new house, the bills are killing him. he says, "i'll make you a deal, lower the mowing rate to $25, and if you do a good job, i'll give you a tip, i'm a very generous man." i said, "well, that sounds reasonable. i'll be there first thing tuesday morning to get started."

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I got my annual call from this idiot that calls each spring. Told him, why do you need an estimate, I've given you 3 already. Price isn't getting any cheaper.

He didn't believe me at first. Must call A LOT of companies for estimates, can't keep 'em straight.
  3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I have had 2 that have done this. There are about 10 pages of lawn maintenance in the yellow pages, and somehow they find me. The last time I made appointments and just didnt go. Im sick of my time being wasted.
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

you actually think that I am going to believe you that you will be there on Tuesday morning? :)
  5. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

I had a lady ask for an estimate to clean her dog poop. :confused:
  6. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Giving estimates is a funny thing, hit or miss. I have learned that once a potential customer asked me to lower the price, it is time to walk away. If they ask once, they will continue to ask for price reductions. That is not the type of customer I want. And I do not have any like that.

Booby, I hope you were kidding that you would be there Tuesday. I would have just said good-bye.
  7. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Well, I had a lady that 2 years ago called for an estimate. Gave it to her and she accepted. When I went to mow, the gate was locked and nobody home. At the end of the day, I got home and on the home phone answering machine, no less (she called the # from the phone book and not the business # from the card) was a message that she got called out of town for an emergency and that she would call as soon as she got back in town to reschedule the mowing. Didn't hear from her again till last year, the next summer, meaning last year. She called and said her son mowed for her last year but she wanted me to do it from now on. I told her it would cost $5.00 more than the bid last year. She agreed. I showed up with the mower, and her front yard had a Bobcat and a backhoe parked on it, part of the fence was down and a 75' trench all the way across the back. She explained that she planned on having a drainage tile installed on a part of the backyard and that the contractor told her it would take one day and they were already there for 3 days because they "ran into some problems". I told her she should have called me and that I would have to charge for my service anyway. She argued for a moment about paying when I had performed no service but then wrote a check for the mow. She called last week wanting to know if I would be available this year and I said I would but doubted that she would. She asked what I meant. I reminded her of the last 2 years and she assured me she would not have that problem again. I turned her down flat because I don't have the time to deal with games. Should I have taken her this year? I don't think so. :dizzy:
  8. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry Bobby, No wacko's yet this year.

My favorite from last year was the estimate I gave for $95 monthly mow and blow.

Hemming and hawing between the husband and wife. I wait and look at the 8" of grass that I need to cut off.

Will you accept $65?

Uh let me think about it. Uh no.

Well we don't live here in the summer and we know you won't mow while we are gone.

Now let me get this straight. You want me to mow for about 1/3 less that my quote and you want to call me a liar and a thief...................Good bye.
  9. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Hey Troy, he didn't tell the guy what year, though. :p C'mon Bob, what year are you going to go back..LOL :D
  10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

yup, that is true :D