1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

yuppie lco

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Keegan, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Keegan

Keegan LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

I've seen it all now.

I saw some guy driving a lexus suv towing a small trailer with a push mower, trimmer, and a blower today.

i wonder what he charges?:laughing:
  2. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

How do you know he wasn't just going to cut is parents or a relatives yard? I see that quite often where someone kinda enjoys yardwork so they cut a few lawns for relatives or friends but aren't doing to make money. They just look like a small lco.

Its unfair and difficult to judge someone or attempt to know what they charge just by seeing what kind of a vehicle pulls their trailer.
  3. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

4. Skimastr105

Skimastr105 LawnSite Senior Member

maybe he likes to be comfortable in between lawns. lol
  5. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

It don't make him that great that he has a lexus. I bet half the people on here tow with duramax, p stokes, or cummins that cost more. My benz was only 36, where my duramax was 48.
  6. Juan_Deere

Juan_Deere LawnSite Senior Member

A few weeks ago, I came to the stop sign up the road from work, I pulled up behind this guy on a little scooter that looked like a custom chopper bike, and he had a push mower tied with twine to the sissy bar of this little bike. He was towing it with the back wheels on the street and the front ones up in the air. At first, I didn't care because I was tired and just wanted to get out of there. But then when I really thought about what I was seeing, I couldn't stop laughing. I kept going when he turned in the other direction, but then I remembered my cell phone has a camera. I doubled back to get a picture, but I couldn't find him anymore. I swear, the more I thought about what I had just seen, the more it took to keep from pissing my pants.
  7. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Funny thing is i see guys with the 4 door, 3/4 ton trucks pulling a single axle trailer that is tilted upward cuz the trucks sits high and the trailer lower ( guys don't realize you can by a receiver to make that work - or to level it out some) and they have on there a troy built mower and a 44 simplicity Z with the trimmer hanging over the edge and the blower bouncen around b/t the mower but yet he has all this power under the hood and able to haul 4 - 6 guys around at a time!
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I do agree too many folks out there with a trailer you just never know, it could as well be someone just bringing their mower home from the shop or someone asked them as a friend to help them cut their grass, you never really know.

But I did see a 5x8 towed by some ranchero or wagoneer or whatever, 4 fellers using 21's and a homemodel rider doing something for money but you know I feel bad about it too... Because that very yard used to be one of mine, and I would bet a $20 that they underbidded or got jewed into underpricing it, the place looked like crap afterwards... But can you blame them?

Because I wouldn't have done it for any less than at least double what they probably did it for... So I already know the customer is too smart to call me, and someone has to fill that corner of the market, I won't do it, and for many a startup that is, if unfortunately, the only answer.

Just sick how it all works out thou, plain sick.
  9. leafitalawn

leafitalawn LawnSite Member

I can relate... there's a real thorn in my side in the areas I work in. He is a guy that pulls his equipment with a new Hummer H2. The worst part is that he advertises "$19 any lawn"!!! I don't know how he does it, but I do know that he uses illegal labor and he is the only crew in his business. I know that his turnover/churn is really high as well. I know because I get all of the people calling me with the dreaded "my last lawn guy...etc".

I would assume that he inherited it or something of that nature, but 3 years ago he was in a brand new 4 door dodge 2500 diesel. He's been around for at least 3 years, but his doorhangers say "since 1989". The first one of his hangers that I saw 3 years ago said "$17 any lawn". I guess he added a $2 gas surcharge this year :laugh:
  10. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i once saw a guy towing a home made trailer with plywood sides etc -his tow vechile was a mercedes! oposite side of the spectrim -saw a scrub towing a murry on his bike carrying a milk jug full of gas