1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Z-737 Wire melts when PTO ingaged

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by msgatorlawn, Sep 6, 2011.

1. msgatorlawn

msgatorlawn LawnSite Member

I need to see if anyone else has had this issue. Any suggestions to the cause.
    This just happened. While cutting, the Battery light came on. Then the PTO stops. Then I smell wire burning. The connection box in wiring harness has melted between the PTO clutch and in gage knob. Any Ideas?
  2. tarradane

tarradane LawnSite Member

I had a similar problem last year with my scag ztr. The blade clutch was bad and drew a lot more power from the battery. It heated up the wires and caused the on/off switch to fail. I replaced the battery first, then the switch . Finally the clutch,which fixed problem. try setting gap on clutch first.
  3. msgatorlawn

Thanks for the info. I just had the clutch replaced two years ago. I will try adjusting the gap. The clutch went out only after three years of use the first time. I pray this is not a recurring issue every two to three years. Thanks again for the tip.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Something shorted out...It should have only blown a fuse.
    The melted wiring should lead to the problem.
  5. msgatorlawn

John deere told me the clutch was proubly shorting out inside the wiring assembly and replacement was all I could do. It couldn't be repaired. Thanks for you your input. I will look some more at it to see what can be done. Hard to believe it would only last two years.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member