1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Z advice for potential move.

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by dwost, May 12, 2005.

1. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, my wife and I found a house that we fell in love with. Not sure this will happen or not but I thought I'd begin taking a harder look at Z's. I'd like to get a size recommendation for this property. The total size is 10 acres. I'm guessing that there is about 7 mowable acres. I've attached a couple pics that show some of the terrain. Sorry, but these are off the MLS listing so they aren't that great but you should get a good idea of the terrain. The grass is in MUCH better shape than pics show. I'd love to stipe the S#$% out of that yard!! :blob3: There are a few hills, some banks around the pond and a fair amount of flat ground. I'm thinking that a 50 - 60" would suit my purposes quite nicely. What do the experts think? I'm not looking for specific product recommendation, simply more on deck size. Also, any idea how long it would take to cut this? TIA

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

With all of that open area and given that you already have a 48" Gravley,I would Recommend a 72" cut,A 50" isn't much better than your 48" and a 60" Its better but you could really save some time with a 72" and use the 48" for tighter places.

SCAG POWER LawnSite Senior Member

With that size yard do not watse any money on a zero turn. Instead take what you would have thrown at the z , and higher some one else to cut it .

You would be saving money all the way around . Not to mention what your time is worth, mower parts and maintanice, and any thing else that might go worng.

Let some else ruinon there equipment on your yard , don't ruion yours.
  4. dwost

Now what's the fun of having someone else do it? I actually ENJOY doing this and look forward to more seat time each week :) Call me nuts, but it's therapeutic.

Restro, thanks for the input. I don't think I'll keep my WB as I was planning on selling it. I may, however, rethink that plan. It would make a great "trim" mower. I'm a bit concerned with the scalping issues of a 72. The ground is quite varied in spots and I don't want to end up with bald spots all over the place hence my thinking of a 60".
  5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

You do have a good point there with the 60" . Didn't think of that,I've got more wrench time than seat time. I've got 1 1/4 acre and only 1/3 in the middle cleared for my house,I mow with a 5018 Ingersoll ZTR ,The less seat time the more I like it.
    btw that is a beautiful place there !
  6. Glenn J

Glenn J LawnSite Member

No mower advice, but that looks like a really nice house on a nice spread of land. :)
  7. dwost

Thanks all for the input. The more I think about it I'm leaning toward a 60" unless I decide to keep my WB. I'm thinking the increase in ground speed alone will assist with cut time plus limiting the amount of scalping that I may run into.

As for the grounds, yes, it's quite nice. We didn't expect to find a place that had all the things we were looking for as quickly as we did. Unfortunately, we found out last night that the guy selling it has raised the price another $50K :( :( Not sure this will happen but at least we know there are places out there and it gives me an excuse to look at Z's!!! LOL

One more quick question, any estimates on cut time for this much ground on say a 60 or 72?? Thanks again guys.

8. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

I'm cutting my 2 acres in 35 minutes with my 60" Lazer, if that helps.
    p.s. - Beautiful place!
  9. Cleanmaxx Brian

Cleanmaxx Brian LawnSite Member

WOW nice place indeed! Would you mind posting the MLS listing so we can get the details? I am in envy! I hope to someday be able to move into a place like that! :D
  10. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I've got a lot of seat time in a 60, and some in a 72. For that property. I'd get a 72 without hesitation! Unless you plan to cut at less than 3 inches, I can't see a scalping problem being likely. I cut a 2 acre estate with a 60, but have used a 72 on it cutting at 2.5 inches with no scalping issues, and this prop isn't exactly smooth. It has little furrows, about 4 or 5 inches apart and about an inch or so deep over much of the back of the property. A 21 will scalp this area, but the 72 cuts it very smoothly!

Go Hustler, which ever size you decide on. The Hustler will handle those slopes no problem. Sell your 48, from what I see, you will be able to do your trimming with a 21.