'Z' and high grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by prosperity, May 18, 2007.

1. prosperity

prosperity LawnSite Member

Since this is my first year with a Z (Deere 727A), I am not sure of it's capibilities yet. I am treating it like a fine finish mower only at this point.
    I have a Deere 2210 compact diesel 4wd w/62" deck that I have used for years.

Today, I did a one time job on a lawn that was not done yet this year, and think it wasn't done much last year either. Also had a pretty good bank to it.

I automatically took the diesel to do this job - and did a great job as expected.

Now my dilemma - I am thinking strongly of getting a larger tractor to do lawn installs and loader work. Financially, I would have to trade the 2210 in. But, the larger tractor would not be set up with a belly mower. I do have a bush hog to use on it however.
    So, I look at this job today, and wonder if the Z could have handled it. Worst case, I could take the larger tractor with bush hog over it first, then finish up with the Z.

I guess what I feel, is that the Z is to "tender" to do a job like this - and especially since it is new, don't want to ruin anything. I should have taken some photos before and after so I could explain myself better.
    Would my Z be able to knock down 24"-30" of grass?
  2. jwl5510

jwl5510 LawnSite Member

is it a 717a

what size motor
  3. M&SLawnCare

M&SLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I've cut grass about 24" tall with a 16hp 42" deck scotts tractor.... I've also done it with 21" mowers. IMO you can cut almost anything if you go slow enough and S/D. Just don't expect to cruise at 8mph through that.
  4. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

A commercial Z can take some serious abuse. Just use old blades.
  5. prosperity

prosperity LawnSite Member

727A 54" 23hp Kawasaki Deere
  6. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

The key is to go slow and cut it on the highest setting a few times first.