Z HP Exhaust back thru carb

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by MowingGuru, Oct 11, 2003.

1. MowingGuru

MowingGuru LawnSite Member

Have a Z HP 48" with Kaw21, 1 year old, with 300 hours on it. From time to time the engine will sputter and lose power and will eventually "clear its' throat" and run fine. During one of these "episodes" I removed the cover off the air filter and noticed that I had exhaust blowing back out the air filter.
    Took it to the dealer and they said I had fuel in my oil due to a bad seat in the carb. So they replaced the carb, oil, fuel and air filters. Ran it for a couple hours and had the same problem with the engine sputtering. Took it back to the dealer and they don't know what is wrong with it.
    I was going to guess, I would think there is something wrong with the intake valve...but what do I know?
    Machine has worked great before this.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Mowing Guru,

I'm not an engine expert but I'd guess carburetor. Historically when I seen gas in the oil it always has been an issue with the carburetor, specifically the float. When the float sticks the carburetor fills with fuel and dumps a bunch into the engine. Enough in fact that it seeps into the crank case.

The carburetors we're all forced to live with are no longer adjustable and EXTREMELY sensitive to dirt. I used to recommend changing fuel filters annually but now I'd change them two or three times per year. When you do make sure youÂ’re using the OEM filter as well. Some of the aftermarket filters have larger micron ratings that allow dirt into the carb and once it's there it can be difficult or even impossible to get it out.

Hopefully your dealer has contacted Kawasaki and they've been able to help him with a solution.

Let me know what they find out.

Thanks

Terry

3. MowingGuru

MowingGuru LawnSite Member

After replacing the carb with no effect on performance, Kawasaki ended up replacing the engine under warranty.

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Mowing Guru,

Glad it worked out. Who is your dealer. I'd like to call him to get more details just in case we run into something like this again. Shoot me an e-mail to terry.eckert@exmark.com.

Thanks

Terry