Z Hydro Fluid Changing

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by H2OandNcutter, May 27, 2003.

1. H2OandNcutter

H2OandNcutter LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Hey Guys,

How would I go about changing the hydro fluid in my 2002 LazerZ-HP 44 inch, 17 hp? I have the prescribed Mobil-1 and the $19.00!!! eXmark filter. I have a feeling ya don't want to get a whole lot of air in this system when changing the fluid so there must be a procedure for draining and filling and/or bleeding/purging air after it is filled.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

2. Firefighter Dave

Firefighter Dave LawnSite Member

I was told you don't need to change your Hydro Oil, just replace it. I hope my dealer didn't do me wrong.

3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

H2Oand Ncutter,

Basically you take the filter off let it drain out of the reservoir. Opening the cap to the reservoir will help it drain faster.

Fill your new filter with oil and oil the seal on the filter. In sure there is none of the old gasket left on the filter head and reinstall.

Fill the tank up to the proper level. Run the unit for 5-10mins and re check level in the tank. Most likely everything will be bled out good enough in 1-2mins, better safe than sorry.

ThatÂ’s about all there is to it. Note that fill the filter the best you can. Most of the air if any will come from the filter.

Thanks, Fred.
  4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

So, your saying you don't have to jack it up and work the controls with no load for a few minutes to bleed the air in the system? Man. I've been wasting time :)
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

YOU've been wasting time!? I was told it was a whole lot longer than 5 - 10 minutes!
    Also if I can ask you a question, while we're on the subject, Fred. A friend of mine were talking one day, and got on this subject. How do you prep these at the factory and runn the air out before delivery? Are they just lifted and ran without the hour meters hooked up, or is it another process? This will be great to know this and tell him. Thanks!
  6. eXmark

Thanks for the post. The mowers should arrive at the dealership with a couple of clicks on the hour meter from the adjustment/running process here at the factory.

The basic procedure we use is similar to what you would do when you perform your hydro maintenance. It is however a bit more involved because the system starts out dry and has a great deal of air to be removed.

7. H2OandNcutter

from Atlanta

Hey Fred/Terry,

So what's the deal? After refilling the hydro fluid do ya:
    1. Just let the engine run for 5-10 minutes to purge the air or...
    2. Jack up the rear and work the controls under a no-load condition
    to purge the air?

Thanks in advance for the assistance!

Firefighter Dave,

I figured ya can't go wrong changing the hydro fluid in any system be it brakes, clutch,
    auto transmission or my eXmark hydro system. Since the system is completely reliant upon the fluid
    for cooling, lubrication, and to do the hydrolic job at hand I've always changed hydrolic fluids and filters regularly.
    It looked to be a pretty easy job and I thought, at the start, not too expensive (remember the $19 filter).

So, I'm off tomorrow and will take a shot at this job.

8. eXmark

If you've done things properly you should simply be able to jump on the machine and run it around the driveway for a few minutes and be finished. You really shouldn't need to raise the unit up and work the controls unless you've got an excessive amount of air in the system.

9. H2OandNcutter

from Atlanta

Thanks again for yer help Terry!