Z Master Clutch Problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by procut, Oct 9, 2004.

1. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Toro Z Master 153, 52" / 23hp Kohler. When I engage the PTO, it stalls the engine, even at full throtle. After 2 or 3 tries, it finally will engage and then run and mow fine. After the machine has warmed up, this problem goes away. The machine only has about 90 hours in it, so i couldn't imagine the clutch going bad this soon. Has anybody had the same problem, or know what could be causing this? Thanks!
  2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Has it just started doing this or has it always done it? When you enguage the clutch it puts a big load on the engine all at once. Our mowers will do that if the grass is wet but in normal conditions they work just fime.

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

At the same time you engage the clutch, ttry pulling the choke out just a tad then pushing it back in. Kohlers run lean until they get hot. See if the problem goes away if you do that.
  4. procut

Yes, it just started doing this, always worked OK befoe.
  5. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

Is your engine just running on 1 cly or both of them?
  6. procut

its running on both, it starts and runs like it always has.
  7. S&H Lawn Care Inc

S&H Lawn Care Inc LawnSite Member
    from va

I have a few of the z masters and the colder it gets outside they all do the same thing that yours does. I like it because it makes the guys let it warm up the first time in the morning before slamming the load on it.
  8. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like your engine is running a little lean on fuel, could be plugged fuel filter, weak fuel pump. I know it is not very old but stuff happens. Stopped up vent on fuel tank or even a plugged hi speed jet in carb. Most of the carbs are not adjustable any more. One little trick you might try is to start engine and run at full throttle and pull the choke out to make it run in a rich condition for a minute or so and may pull whatever it is out of the hi speed jet. Works some times. Might even change plugs, I have seen that be the cause of your problem also. Plugs are like light bulbs, may run a long time, may not.
  9. procut

Thanks S&H Lawn Care Inc. If I let the engine warm up before engaging the deck it seems to work fine, must be a Z Master trait. Thanks again!!
  10. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

You should also check your valve adjustments.