Z-Master clutch

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EROSS17, Mar 27, 2001.

1. EROSS17

EROSS17 LawnSite Member

I've got a 1999 Toro Z-master with a little over 1000 hours on it. After I've been running it for awhile and try to engage the blades it takes a little time for them to engage. I figure it's a problem with the clutch. Just wondering if anybody has run into the same problem and if it's a matter of adjustment or a matter of $$$.
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

If you have the right amount of voltage at the clutch (12-15 volts) then there is a possibility that you need to adjust your clutch.
    Most have a air gap adjustment to them.
    I am not familiar with the Toro setup, so I can not tell you what that adjustment should be, or if it is adjustable.

LWNMWRMN Banned

the clutch on your z-master is probably the non-adjustable, the ogura clutch was adjustable and the warner mag-stop was not. You can tell if it is an adjustable clutch if it has three nuts w/ springs under them, in that case you would tighten the nuts to get about a 10 thousands air gap. the non adjustable clutches would wear the brake pads alowing a larger air gap requiring more voltage to draw the clutch plate together. the warner clutches are about $180.