Z Master or Laser Z?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by qualpro, Apr 26, 2000.

1. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

You won't go wrong with either.<br>
  2. qualpro

qualpro LawnSite Member

Thanks for your comments.<br>I do have a couple of concerns: Toro has greasable spindles, with my sandy soil I worry about “grease worms” shortening their life. I liked the cut the Exmark did on wet grass better than the Toro on dry, but I don’t know what the condition of the blades was. Also the dry verses wet grass probably explains the “blow out”, but I later heard that the Toro had a problem with “blow out”. Are any of you guys seeing this in the field?<p>Thanks<p>David<p><br>
  3. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

I own both of them.<p>All things being equal I would get the Exmark. $300 more for the Exmark? Probably still get it. The Toro does cut nicer in wet grass, but being that you only have 1- 7 acre site: how often will you mow it when it's wet?
  4. grasscapeinc

grasscapeinc LawnSite Member

In all actuallity you are looking at the wrong mower. I know Z's are nice ,but you don't need one for what yousay. They are a specialized machine designed for intricate detail, and speed, and quality. You could get a top of the line John Deere Garden tractor for that kind of money. Then you can put attachments on it, etc, etc. Spend the left over cash on a hot tub.
  5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

The top of the line John Deere Garden Tractors listed for $12,000 10 years ago. I paid $10,000 for my 430 diesel and I know you can get a nice ZTR for a lot less money than that.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
  6. dhicks

dhicks Member

I just took delivery of a Toro Z-255 this week and I'm highly impressed with the cut the Toro deck provides. It was a tough choice to make b/w the Lazer-Z and the Toro. Which ever machine you get, you'll be pleased. <p>----------<br>--Disneyland on the Potomac<br>
  7. qualpro

qualpro LawnSite Member

Thanks for your thoughts.<br>I do think I am going to get the Exmark and retire my 7 year old Lows 14/42 special.<br>Grasscapeinc the reason I am looking at the ZTRs is for their speed and quality. I take great pride in the way my lawn looks. I have 7 acres with lots of trees and bedding areas, I also have two kids with one on the way and don’t want to spend all of my weekend taking care of my yard. I think it is the right machine for me.<p>David<p>
  8. cjcland

cjcland LawnSite Senior Member

if you get a ztr i think you will find your 2 kids fighting over who gets to mow the lawn:)<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida
  9. jrblawncare

jrblawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Qualpro,I like your way of thinking....I love mine got it this spring.Most of all have fun and be safe,Seeee Yaaaa<p>----------<br>John <br>
  10. Grassboy

Grassboy LawnSite Member

If you aren't very experianced w/ comm. mowers, mainly how to use them then I would advise you be very careful at first. Read the post on mowing bluppers for the whole story on what I did with my 2 day old 48&quot; Exmark z hp. Basically I became overconfident and slid into a ditch edge and fell 9 ft. It was a fun ride but I wouldn't do it again if I had a choice!