Z-Max questions

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by HoseJockey, Feb 24, 2007.

1. HoseJockey

HoseJockey LawnSite Member
    from Memphis

Ive used our new Z-Max for 1 week so far. All the great praises of other owner are very true. One hell of a productive machine. Everyone who is on the fence about buying one, you will not be disappointed.

I have some questions for other owners.

Next to the spreader's open/close control, what is the control for on the right?
    Yesterday I put some fert out and adjusted this control but I didn't notice any difference.

How do you secure your max to the trailer?
    I use a ratchet strap on the front that works well, but on the back I put the strap in area in front of the fert trays and it breaks the strap every time.

Thanks for the help
  2. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

I believe the control on the right adjusts the spreading pattern from side to side. Every once in a while I will have a product that comes out too strong to one side. For example, I would adjust the opening from a 5 to a 6 then pull the right control open a bit until the pattern spreads more even. The reason I have to open up the spreader a bit is because when I pull the right control open it slows down the flow a bit. In most cases I never use the right control, just every once in a while. To get an idea of what it actually is controlling, pull it open and closed with the spreader empty.
  3. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

What Turf solutions said about the right control is accurate. You have to move it slowly to find where it starts to affect the pattern.

I had the same problem as you until I found www.boatbuckle.com I use those. I turn the z max sidways on the trailer and use 2 on the front and 2 on the back.
  4. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

try a pro locker, looks pretty fast and surure
  5. HoseJockey

HoseJockey LawnSite Member
    from Memphis

That makes sense now. Friday I put out a little seed and fert for some apartments that had some erosion problems. I could tell the pattern was not even, so I tried to compensate on my return pass.
    I will look at the spreader on Monday a.m.

Never thought about the boat buckle. Actually have a fishing buddy that uses those on his transom.

Thanks for the help
  6. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

I'm stepping up to the Z-Max this spring from the intermediate. While I love my Intermediate, I'm really excited about the Max. Ya just can't believe what one of those machines can do until ya use one.
  7. Rlclawnguy

Rlclawnguy LawnSite Member

What are your reasons for moving up to the Max? We are definitely getting one but we are tying to decide between the max or intermediate.
  8. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

I demoed the Intermediate before I bought it. I was "WOWED", thinking this thing is the best thing since sliced bread. It's big enough with a 220# hopper and who cares if I have to refill the tank after 60K. Weeeel after about 2 weeks, I still loved the machine but realized how great it would be to do 120K without refilling and what a benefit it would be to load 2 different liquids for spot spraying different stuff (IE. manage in one tank, trimec in the other, or trimec in one, pre-em in the other for hot spots). The Intermediate is a great machine but, knowing that I would have a great deal more versatility for just a little more money, sent me back to L.T. Rich for the Max. Wish I had got it in the first place.
  9. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

russ, are you interested in selling your intermediate? send me a PM, thanks terry
  10. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

The control to the right of the spreader opening is an adjustment for using different sized prills. Pull it out as far as it will go and don't ever touch it again unless you are going to use a mini-prill.