z-mounted sprayer?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by tyaroch, Feb 26, 2008.

1. tyaroch

tyaroch LawnSite Member
    from MI

I am thinking about mounting a 30 gallon spray tank on the fron of my JD 777. The spray boom would be in the back hanging from the hitch. I also would like a foot switch to turn on/off the electric pump. Does anyone have pictures of something like this? What do you think? I think the 77 would handle 300 lbs on the front. What is your opinion? Maybe I could modify a fimco atv type sprayer?
    Thanks in advance!
  2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I think it should work fine. 25 gal tank would weigh about 250--so put it where you can handle the weight. A dimmer switch would work to start pump. The boom should have some flexibility in case you snag it on something. Front mount would give you better visibility.

Lesco sells a 25 gal electric version sprayer. Has a self-coiled hose and small hand wand. About $225. Similar to Fimco.

You may not be able to run more than 4 nozzles. The one gal per minute pump specs are sometimes very optimistic. Mine puts out 6 tenths of a gallon.

If you can devise a trim nozzle for width of machine or skinny areas--that would be handy. If you can put floodjet nozzles on the outside you could extend the reach.

Hope that helps. Let us know how it works out.
  3. 31bro

31bro LawnSite Member
    from IN

Hey if you are interested I have a 20 gallon spray tank with a 6 foot boom, it also has a foot switch. It was all bought from z spray and I modify a mount for it on a Dixon. I mounted the tank on the back and the boom was on the front so I could see what I was spraying. If you interested let pm me and I will get you a price.
  4. Leaf Jockey

Leaf Jockey LawnSite Senior Member

I've tried this and hanging 30 gallons on the front of a Z is going to create some handling problems. Once the machine is pointed down hill you better be prepared to go down that hill. On side slopes the front will want to drop down the hill. If you are gonna try this I suggest mounting the tank in tight (don't hang it way out front). I also suggest counter weights out back. If you only do flat properties then you will be fine.

I finally gave up on using a Z for spraying and went a different route. It seemed silly to be trying to make someones property look better by killing weeds and at the same time leaving skidsmarks from an ill handling machine.

5. AustinLawnscape

AustinLawnscape LawnSite Member

I'm in the process of building one right now. This has been the topic of several threads.

I'm mounting mine similarly as shown in the thread above and adding a spreader mount for the front. I'm using Spyker model 220 stainless steel spreader that I bought new on ebay.
  6. AustinLawnscape

AustinLawnscape LawnSite Member

Here's a link to one on LawnSite.

The sprayer is somewhat crude but seems to work.

My spray bar will be 8 ft. boom sprayer mounted on the back. The sprayer & spreader will be setup for quick disconnect/removal so it won't interfere with use of mower.

The other link was on another lawn/landscape forum.
  7. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

I have a 25 gallon sprayer with boom on my mower too and it is very effective knocking out weeds. I have 2 different tanks, the first one I get an acre/tank with a 1 GMP pump. The other tank has a 2.8(or 1.8 can't remember)GMP and I get closer to 29K turf. Both have 2 nozzles and spray about 6.5 feet wide. I can expand the boom on the second unit and get more coverage if I have a very large property to spray.

As was stated earlier, when going downhill be prepared to not be able to stop. The mower will take off on you and go wherever it wants.

Also even more concerning is make sure the tank is mounted securely on the mower to where it will not slide off or move. A tank full of chemical spilling out would be a nightmare.

I spent about $130 each on mine and have quick disconnects to easily change tanks as well as shutoff valves and power switches to stop spraying at the end of your pass.
  8. tyaroch

tyaroch LawnSite Member
    from MI

Thanks for all the great tips guys! I think I will skick with the tank out front and the nozzles in the rear. I have all flat land except for some ditch banks. I may be able to spray them from the road.
    Thanks again!
    If you have any more pics, please post 'em!