Z mower "safe" life expectany

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by IMAGE, Feb 3, 2008.

Z-turn: Safe hours for commercial use, before reliability becomes an issue.

1. 1000-1599 hours.

2. 1600-2199 hours.

3. 2200-2899 hours.

4. 2900-3499 hours

5. 3500 + hours

1. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

What are people considering a "safe" lifetime(hours) for consistant use before reliability issues start to creep in to offen?

(Dont give me the "depends how you maintain it" - I am just looking for averages. Everything has a usefull life span, and a point where its time to replace, call it preventative replacement)

Please vote. Assume good maintence program.
  2. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

i think your numbers are a little high, how about some choices under 1000hrs.
  3. Steveslawncare

Steveslawncare LawnSite Member

What are you buying? A Z John Deere from Home Depot? I run scag and passed 1100 hours on my 04 w/o a single problem except belts (which go on any brand). Guys around here mainly run toro's due to the shop up the road. Buddy of mine ran the 23 hp air cooled kohler to about 4000 and finally blew the crank seal. 2200-2800 are about what the air cooled engines are to last, and would bet safe reliablility until then. I would not, however, buy a John Deere. My hydro pump's bearings went back in October on a 2002 HD75 with a mere 400 hours. Sold it, wasn't worth the all-inclusive motor and pump price tag!
  4. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

scag turf tiger, hydro pumps went at 1200hrs.
  5. IMAGE

from midwest

Sorry its to late to change the times to less then 1000. I have to agree that any major breakdown at under 1000 hours would not be the norm, or expected. Therefor it would not be considered in a normal "preventative replacement" plan.

I didnt mention it in the first post, but I am asking about commercial Z's, no homeowner models.
  6. Mowinforaliving

Mowinforaliving LawnSite Bronze Member

It depends on whether youre running gas or diesel too. I'll feel secure until I hit 1500 hrs. Even then, it's not going to be engine problems. It's going to be pumps or nickel and dime stuff.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

0 hours is 100% safe, for sure so long you never run it. :laugh:

Well it's true, I never lie.

But I would expect a machine like this to last 14-15 maybe 20 years, so to play it safe I think 4-5 years of regular use means the machine still has plenty of life left in it, and I would say after 8-10 years you'll start to experience some of what you speak of.

Hour wise I have to guess but we do have to assume a normal schedule where the Z is being used as it is supposed to be used and all the maintenance and all that is gtg, of course, but the actual hours I could not tell you because it varies, maybe 50 to 1-200 a year or so but that becomes too wide a spread before long...

Assuming 200 a year, to me that's heavy use but 4-5 years puts this at 800-1000?
  8. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

Its all about maintenance on your equipment you keep the oil and the air filter clean along with the cylinder fins and sheet metal and engine will last a long time but the hydro's 600-1200 hrs. Ckanging your blades more often keeps it all young and running good. I change every day with the morning check
  9. IMAGE

from midwest

thanks for the input guys, lets keep it flowing.

In particular I want to hear from the commercial guys getting 40+ hours on them a week. But everyone is welcome to share thier expericences :)
  10. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I was doing between 20 and 30. No real problems, operator error mainly. I have about 595 on my newest machine which is an 07 that I got in Apr/May of 07.