1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Z mower to compact tractor

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I have been thinking about trading in my Lazer for a compact tractor.. Maybe Kubota B2410?

Reason... more use with the bucket and 3 point.

What kind of productivity loss do you think there will be cutting grass? Do you think the quality of cut will suffer?

Any input... appreciated!

2. Lawn-Scapes

Hey... I want feedback NOW!! :D

3. Lawn-Scapes

Not the 2410..

B7500 series

4. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

The bigger, flatter yards will still go well. You will probably be about 25% slower with the tractor with the same width of cut.

You will suffer big time on 1 acre and under, probably take twice as long to do the same work.

Unless you don't do much mowing, keep the Z and get the tractor when you can afford it.

KB

5. Lawn-Scapes

Thanks Albemarle Lawn.

Really.. twice as long? The average size of my lawns are 1 acre... I'd hate to go from 35 hours to 70 :eek: I could possibly deal with 10 additional hours per week. Oh well.

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

You will slow down, but I have no idea how much. Your quality of cut will not be as good.

I too vote for a separete tractor.

7. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

I agree,keep the ztr and get a separate tractor. Ztr is a lot faster
    and the quality of cut is better.

8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i believe ,what u should do is demo or borrow a tractor for a day . then u will keep the lazer ,i think. mabe a tractor also,in a perfect world.:)

9. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

You'll be much better off to use the trator for dedicated "tractor type" work. Use the FEL for mulch, riff-raff work , etc.

The 7500 is a little small, you may want to run a bush hog, or roto vator...I can't remember the PTO hp of the 7500, but anything under 20 is limiting.
    ...Of course mine is only 18 PTO, I run a 4' bush hog - a 5' would be better, but I was lucky to find this tractor used. :D

If you can wait and find a used 2410, 2710 or 2910 or anything in the 30 -35 gross hp range you'll be able to do much more.

Any slopes or inclins will be alot more dangerous on the tractor also. Tracking and soil compaction will be worse too.

I'll never, ever mow with anything other than a 'Z' ! ;)

10. Lawn-Scapes

Thanks for the advice.. I will follow it!