1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Z or Super Z

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by markindetroit, Jun 16, 2004.

1. markindetroit

markindetroit LawnSite Member
    from detroit

I am going to buy a ZTR within the next 3 weeks. I've narrowed down my search to buying a Hustler. But I am trying to determine if it is worth spending the extra to get the Super Z over the Z.
    I am a residential owner with 6.25 acres of somewhat flat, somewhat rough terain. No house or struture yet on the property, but will over the next 3 years. Plan on building a walk out so I will be building in some hills and such.
    Please let me know if the Super Z is over kill or not. I only want to buy one mower to last me years and want the least amount of problems as possible. Any input is welcome.
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Not over kill.
    The added features in the Super Z will benefit your exact situation.
    The added speed will make quick work of the mowing time.
    The suspension seat is standard and will help your ride on the rougher parts of the lawn.
    The larger 21cc pumps (compared to 10cc in the Hustler Z) will have more torque to the wheel motors when working on hills.
    The std hydro cooler will help keep the hydros extra cool when working on any hills you may add in the future.
    All the above features make the Super Z the right mower for your future home and estate.
    I am sure there will be plenty of owners to testify to the added features and production of the Super Z

3. JHE

JHE LawnSite Member

If the money is not an issue I agree with PJ. I bought a standard Z but added a suspension seat (I highly reccomend the suspension seat). With the Super Z the suspension seat comes standard. Also, I live on a hill but have some flat spots also. When the grass is high there is some power loss/ loss of speed in my mower (very little but it is noticable). When that happens I wish I had a Super Z. I am only mowing 2+ acres. With over 6 it the Super will give you some noticeable time savings. Good luck.
  4. lordfam

lordfam LawnSite Member

I had to make a similar decision about a month ago. I chose the Super Z to cut my five acres for the very reasons PJ listed and I am glad I did.

I know this is a serious piece of equipment and it does a bang-up job on my lawn, but beyond that, it's just plain fun to zoom around with the deck in the transport position. Not that I do that.
  5. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, If feasable get the Super. It will not dissapoint you.
  6. markindetroit

markindetroit LawnSite Member
    from detroit

How long does it take to cut your 5 acres? and what set up did you buy?
  7. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

When I upgrade I will purchase a Super Z.

For the reasons PJ mentioned.

I have the suspension seat, don't leave home without it!

But seriously though, for you guys buying these

machines for your personal use.

They are seriously well engineered and well though out machines.

Attention to detail...

Form follows function....

Simple to maintain.....

And quite possibly, the last mower you will ever have to buy....

Think about that!

8. lordfam

lordfam LawnSite Member

I bought the Super Z with a 60" deck. It replaces a Gravely 20G tractor with a 60" belly mower. My cutting time has gone down from 4 1/2 hours to 2 1/2 hours. It may or may not get better as I gain experience in using his kind of equipment. The time savings allows me to cut the grass after I get home from work instead of devoting a weekend afternoon to it, essentially freeing up a full day for other activities.

I also cut down on residual trimming because of the increased maneuverability as compared to the tractor. It's not a significant amount of time, just less work.
  9. beaubob

beaubob LawnSite Member

PJ, I actually had a dealer today tell me that the Super didn't perform as well going up hills?? That didn't sound right to me but is seems like every dealer I have talked to always tells a different story...
  10. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The Suer Z is awesome on hills ! it performs 110%, I dont know where the dealer came up with that comment.
    The larger pumps and the larger wheel motors, coupled with the best hydro cooling in the industry and the low center on the unit make it by far one of the best handling mid mount Z's on the market.
    To my knowledge the only mower that will out hold it that is a mid mount unit is our own ATZ.