1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Z-pluggers, Grasshoppers, and Permagreens... oh my?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Rayholio, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

My company has grown a lot in the last year... It's time to become a little more efficiant.

I currently use a skid sprayer for fenced, and small lawns, and I have a prolawn shielded sprayer on a 721d grasshopper to do my larger lawns. It's great on lawns without a bunch of obsticles, and I would hate to get rid of it because I really love the Aera-vator attachment.

Andersons sr2000

Workload: 120 customers with average lawn size of 15-20k

Situation: My tax guy told me to spend some more money.. maybe buy some equipment. It's music to my ears, as I'm getting dang tired of pushing that spreader.

I'm primarely looking to buy a powered spreader.. something that will fit into gated back lawns. If I could completely elliminate the need for a skid sprayer by getting a Z, or a perma green.. I would. I'm also running 2 trucks. I have a 3500 that only does liquid (only room for about 10 bags of fert) and a dodge dakota that only does granular. if I could get by with one truck.. I would.

Here's what I need... the ability to spray, and fertilize any lawn quickly, and reliably.. I want a machine that is hydro-stat driven, ZTR, and If it replaces my grasshopper, that's fine.. but I've got to have a ride on aerator..

so.. if you know of a machine that fits the bill.. I'm all ears.. What about the Z plugger w/ attachments?
  2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I have over 200 residential lawns and I don't have one lawn that I can't use my PG Magnum on.

My smallest lawn is like 2K and my average is 25K.

You won't believe how fast you will get done! One pass with fert and spray and you are done!

PG is on sale right now with $200 off and 0% for two years. That is a GREAT deal!
  3. Rayholio

Is the PG a hydro stat drive?
  4. DSTC

DSTC LawnSite Member

Nope, it's gear driven. I love my PG's, but based on your requirements it sounds like you may want a Z-Spray. They are Zero turn, hydro drive, and can do all the things that you want. Sounds like you can narrow it down to the Z-Spray Junior, or the Permagreen if you don't mind the gear drive.

Personally, I wouldn't go for the z-plugr as a spraying/spreading machine. It is an AWESOME aerator, but it costs something like 6500+attachments, which is more than a PG if they haven't gone up much since I last bought one.

The PG should run about 6k and the Z-spray junior about 7k I think. The Z-spary junior is 36" wide if I remember correctly, and has an 18 gallon spray tank where the PG has a 12 gallon.

We've been talking about buying a Z-spray Max next year and keeping the Permagreens in service as well. I mainly want the Max for my bigger places and to use the hose reel for doing shrubbery apps, but I don't think it's suited well for small properties and back yards.
  5. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Sorry Rayholio!

I didn't see that you were wanting hydrostate drive!

As DSTC says you are discussing a Z.

I am sure the Z is a great machine, but I have never ran one to compare to my PG.

The PG is a very simple machine and very easy to manuver though.
  6. Rayholio

Yeah.. I've used some non-hydrostat mowers in the past, and they had a lot of drive issues... kinda want something reliable.

The only issue I have with getting a Z spray, is that i would effectively be elliminating the need for my grasshopper mounted sprayer.. I'm fine with that, but I don't need a $12,000 aerator. :) so what ride on aerator options are available?
  7. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

You wouldn't have any drive issues with the PG. I am not trying to steer you to or away from a PG.

It is a very sound machine (I would recommend the getting a new PG Mag).
  8. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

I have owned 2 z sprays and a z plugr. I like both. However, I can't see treating lawns with a zplugr with attachments. Being a 3 wheel with duck treads, its not practicle. I think you would have some turfing issues. If you drive a zplugr you would see what I mean. If you have the customers get both, if not, get the z spray and save for a plugr. My 2 cents.
  9. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

I too have a permagreen for our small maintenance division we love it pretty much on lime/fert apps what would take us a week to do by hand he'll doing in 1-2days. That adds three days for him to do something else, it'll quickly pay for itself. And the sprayer is fool proof too.
  10. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

get a z spray and a pluger.