z rider question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by aees115, Dec 2, 2004.

1. aees115

aees115 LawnSite Member

i am still debating what to purchase next year between z riders. i had a bob cat loved it until i blew a hydro so i sold it. then i bought a toro 60" hate it never buy another toro product. what do you guys run and like? i was lookin to get a 60" or somewhere in that ballpark and a 48". if you guys were to recommend on of each what would you guys say?

2. Tulsa Lawn Guy

Tulsa Lawn Guy LawnSite Member

What did you not like about your Toro Z?

I've got one (60"). I just love it...

Unfortunately I've got to sell it because I just don't use it enough to justify the payment...

3. Mycannon

Mycannon LawnSite Member

eXMARK Is by far the number one z in my opinion

4. aees115

aees115 LawnSite Member

other then the fact its the worst machine i have ever ran??? it was new in the begging of the season...... throttle cable broke 5 times with less then 300 hours. hour meter broke at 30 hours tire pressure was wrong from the factory...didnt realize it unlevel cut on some accounts lawns. spindle came off when i was cutting for no reason. the things that cover the spindles rattled off. tires go flat for no reason all the time. toro wont stand behind their product. anti scalp wheel just fell of and i ran it over. dont like the way it cuts i think its under powered or saomething thats the things i can list off the top of my head it has like 450 hours on it now if i were to guess

5. Tulsa Lawn Guy

Tulsa Lawn Guy LawnSite Member

Wow!

Sounds like you got a lemon to me... To bad Toro's not helping you out though. I think that has a lot to do with your local dealer too.

6. Mico Landscaping design

Mico Landscaping design LawnSite Member

EXMARK! :cool2: :cool2: :cool2: payup

7. oldturf

oldturf LawnSite Member

Strange how different people get different opinions on such a good product. I have used several name brand ZTRs and I think the Toro is as good as it gets. Its fast, sturdy, dependable and does a great job of mowing, and this year thet have the new deck with the movable baffel that now makes it the absolute best in the land.
    "IN MY OPINION"

8. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

toro Vs. kubota..... hmmm lets see
    when i was looking at mowers the kubota looked like a super star compared to the toro.

for about $100 more this is what i got

better deck, better bearing set-up (my opinion)
    better transmission system... very strong (my opinion)
    !liquid cooled! the toro was not
    !!!! hydraulics lift deck!!!
    independent front suspension
    easy jack system for the front
    can you say DIESEL, which has more power, better fuel consumption
    oh ya i almost forgot it also had a better seat!

i ended up going with the zd-18 54 deck
    not a problem yet 500 hrs

lots of people around my area seem to like the toro's. I don't know why but good luck with your decision.

9. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

You should look at Ferris. They have 4 wheel independent suspension that virtually eliminates shock to the operator and they aren't that much more expensive than any other mower. Hustler, Scag, Grasshopper, and Dixie Chopper are also good brands to look at to name a few.

10. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

There are many good z-turns on the market. Most people here have found one brand that they like and when they like. In fact when their mower needs paint they simply wait until they get cut and they usually bleed the same color as their mower. We are no different.

However when looking at a mower, regardless of of whether it is a 21" to a WAM... you need to also look at the dealer and see how he is going to support you. Some of the questions you should ask:

How long have you carried the product line?

How long have you been in business?

If I bring my unit in for service/repair, do you have a loaner program? A solo LCO can't afford to be without a mower. It will kill your business if you go down for a week while the unit is being serviced.

What kind of parts inventory do you carry?

If you have to order a part, how long does it take to get new parts?

This is very important. In out area we have 5 dealers that sell commercial equipment. Only two have held onto the same lines for more then 5 years. John Deere and Exmark. Therefore we look at their equipment first because we know the dealers and how they back the equipment.

We are possibly getting ready to look at Hustler. However after reading what other are saying about the deck on this forum and the fact that the nearest dealer is 100 miles away.... I am re-thinking that option. I got an inside tip that in May that Exmark is going to intro a Z that will have a ground speed of 15mph. For a good part of our jobs we need that ground speed.

So look at your dealer support system as you shop for your Z.

Best wishes,

Brian