1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Z selection advice pricing incl.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by krugdl, Mar 23, 2005.

1. krugdl

krugdl LawnSite Member
    from SW Ohio

There is alot of great information on this web site but I would like to get some feedback on my specific situation. I am a homeowner with 11 acres and am close to purchasing a Z mower. I currently use a woods 6ft. finish mower rear mount on 30hp tractor (average cutting speed 5mph) I want to reduce my mowing time. After doing alot of reading on this site, I believe I will purchase a Hustler Z. My questions are these.

With a 72" deck which engine would you select.
    27hp kohler
    28hp kohler EFI
    27hp kaw L/C

And would you pay the extra for the Super Z

Right now I have a price of $7199 +tax for a Hustler Z with kohler 27hp the new suspension seat and 72" deck (2005 model new)

A Super Z with Kaw 27hp L/C suspension seat and 72" deck is $8,200

Also, what is the average mowing speed? I'm guessing 8mph on fairly level terrain.

Thanks for your responese.
  2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

At most dealers a Super Z is only a couple hundred higher than a standard z and in addition to more speed (9 mph on z and 15 mph on super z) you are getting cooling fans on the hydro pumps and a hydro oil cooler which will dramatically extend the life of the drive system.

I'd probibly get the 28 hp efi engine or the liquid cooled engine. The efi will burn a lot less fuel and has a lot more power than the 27. I've been told that a 27 is underpowered for a 72" deck if the grass gets a little out of control. the kaw liquid cooled engine would also be a good choice because it will burn less fuel and run cooler so it will last longer but then your giving up some power. All three are good engines so you have a tough decision.
  3. krugdl

krugdl LawnSite Member
    from SW Ohio

Thank Travis..... appreciate your feedback. Any one else out there who isn't planning to watch american idol or a re-run of desperate house wives. More info please. :rolleyes:
  4. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Always get the biggest (most powerful) engie you can....I like driveshaft driven decks also (scag) liquid cooled engies are quiet also.