z-spray advice

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bowerj, Apr 22, 2004.

1. bowerj

bowerj LawnSite Member
    from OH

I am picking up my z-spray tomorrow and can't wait. Just wanted to know from any owners/operators if you know of any problems i may run into? quick fixes? extra parts to keep on hand? any feedback would be appreciated.

2. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

I've had my Z-Spray one month an have used it almost daily. I have the large unit (40 Gal.) and mostly use it on commercial jobs, many of which are 10-50 acres. This machine has exceeded all of my expectations and has operated flawlessly. I see alot of post that compare the Z-Spray to the Perma- Greens ( I have one centri and one ultra), there is no comparison. On problem I had that you might want to consider is a rear tire puncture. The large Z goes about 750 lbs and it just about killed me trying to push it up the ramp into the trailer with a flat. I called Tom and ordered a complete rear wheel assembly (about $60.00) and now keep a spare.

3. greenerpastures

greenerpastures LawnSite Member

Great machine. Few problems after about 100 hours use. Spark plugs did foul, but replaced with hotter plug and no more problems. As above, you can stick it due to weight. Carry a block of wood to help you cross high curbs due to low center of gravity. Be careful on steep inclines----- you will understand. Beware of wheelies on steep incline if you have tanks full and hopper empty. Spyker hopper demands dry, consistent fertilizer (check my threads). You will be amazed at its production after you have ran it for a couple of days.

4. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

Greenerpastures reminded me of something, remove the agitator arm and you will have less trouble with bridging. And take note of his comment about steep inclines, once you loose traction gravity takes over and things can get a little scarey. Once you have become familiar with the operation of the Z-Spray, your only issue will be dealing with why you didn't get one earlier.

5. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had mine for 2 weeks now. What a difference! I had been pulling 400 ft of hose and now I have the Cadillac of Ride ons. Almost lost it on the hill once. Have popped a few wheelies. I have cracked my shins a few times because your instinct is to step off of it. What I need to do is lean forward and slowly let off the accelerator. Beyond that I am LOVING it! Tom even called me just to see how I was doing with it. Now that is customer service.

6. bowerj

bowerj LawnSite Member
    from OH

thanks for the replies

7. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

whats one cost? and the shipping?

can you do 4000-5000 lawns with it?
    it's not like the perm-a-green as far as a rackto transport it?
    they tell me that it must be trailered. is that corect?

8. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

can you do 4000-5000 lawns with it

(square feet that is)

9. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I took mine for a couple of rides down a hill in the last 2 days. What a bummer. One was stopped by a pine tree, which took a 4 inch gash in the trunk (the Z-spray won this one- not a scratch). I had to get another 20 foot tow strap to pull it up the hill, took out 3 rhodos on the way up. The next ride ended when I slammed into a dock. This one the dock won. I pierced the muffler and broke its cherry hard. Now it sounds like a hot rod.