z spray aerator vs lawn solutions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pplm, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Lefet

Lefet LawnSite Bronze Member

May I ask what you use to tow with? I am considering going this route also. Can't justify the expense for LS Rider as we didn't do too many last year, would like to do more this year. Average lawn size here is 15 -30 with a decent mix up to 45. Small amount of gated, less area. I have a Craftsman tractor (15hp B &S liquid cooled), I use around the house. (We have an acre) took the deck off and mostly use it for pushing, pulling, moving firewood, plowing the driveway. Am trying to find someone to fabricate this hitch:

http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/55832/
    (post #7)
    So I can move the trailers around.

Thanks

2. MnLefty

MnLefty LawnSite Senior Member

Larry- See my responses in blue. If you ever get up to the Twin Cities before you buy, let me know and you can come run ours around.

3. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

so, i have a ?

if it is that good, why not go ahead and make a larger model to offer those looking for more production where say a 46-48in model would be a much better option?

anyone know of any plans.

i know they chains have a pretty good track record, i really like the reliablilty of hydros like a zplug

4. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We pull our Ryan pull-behind (hydraulic lift) aerators with John Deere 445's. They are 22 HP. Ryan manual suggests a 20 HP tractor or more. Total width of the aerators = 48". Effective aeration width = 36". If you run the standard set of tines, you won't pull as many plugs as we prefer. You can actually double the number of tines, but plug depth suffers. So we ended up adding 50% more tines, and added a 50 lb weight on top of each aeartor.

Problem is dry ground, soft ground, going up wet slopes, and can't get in tight areas or corners. I like the idea of a stand-on aerator cuz you can adjust the pressure to compensate for hard/dry soil as well as soft ground.

The 2012 drought caused us to do more than ten times the normal number of seeding jobs. Our favorate seeding method is to apply seed - then aerate 3 or 4 times over the seeded areas. We also used mostly turf type tall fescue rather than KBG or rye.

In 2013, we plan to purchase a stand-on aerator. I hate blowing that kind of cash for a piece of "seasonal" equipment, but I think it's time I get out of the 'dark ages'. :laugh:

MnLefty -- thanks for the invite. Stop here anytime you're in the Des Moines area. I'll buy.

5. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

Your just buying because Turfco is finally going to have one for sale.
    Posted via Mobile Device