1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Z-spray engines?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by brizine, Jan 27, 2009.

1. brizine

brizine LawnSite Member

Was looking at getting a zspray and noticed on there website that they now are putting briggs and stratton engines instead of kawasaki. Why would they go a step backwards? Have the briggs improved that much? I'm very reluctant to spend that much money with that engine. Maybe some of the mowing guys can chime in with experience on briggs motors.
  2. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i dont know about this, you may call to confirm that it may just be an engine option
  3. Real Green

Real Green LawnSite Senior Member

As a member of the T3000 A-team, we received a strong education on small engines during our time at Turfco in Minnesota. I, like you, am a big fan of Kawasaki small engines. I have often joked that I love them so much if they made a car, I'd buy it. Either way, Turfco ran many tests on many small engines before deciding on one for their unit. Throughout their testing, it was determined that Briggs had made many leaps and strides toward building a sound small engine once again. I have had great success with the Briggs on our T3000 and have put close to 350 hours on it. My opinion is that it may be making a comeback. I am sure others out there fell differently, but I wanted to just share that with you. Take care.
  4. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

You say once again. When did Briggs ever make a sound engine?

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I have to agree, I'd take a Kawi, or better yet, a Kohler over a B&S anyday... But the trend lately is B&S on mowers. I've been seeing B&S engines offered as UPGRADES on some mowers. Usually that would have been the other way around;) Maybe they have improved, I'm sure they would not use them for the Z-Spray if they were not top notch:usflag:
  6. ZSpray Info

ZSpray Info Inactive

Yes we are switching from Kawasaki to Briggs Vanguard Commercial engines. We feel is is a better match for our application. We are going to increase HP from 15 to 16. We feel the Vanguard line is very reputable. We would not gamble our reputation for reliability if we did not feel confident that this engine would be a top performer for us. Our engine cost will actually increase, so this is not a cost-cutting decision.

This engine has been spec-ed out for our application with a higher amperage charging system, no fuel shutoff solenoid to lessen chance of electrical problems, integrated aluminized muffler and intake system.

We feel due to our testing this engine will run longer and quieter. Many top manufacturers are using the Vanguard as well such as: Exmark, Ferris, Grasshopper, Scag, Turfco, and Walker. Briggs Vanguard has an excellent dealer network to better service the end-user as well.

For more info see: http://www.vanguardengines.com/vanguard-engines/detail/index.cfm?range=16.0 HP
  7. grassman177

i hope our new one we ordered does not have this on it, i dont want to be a guinee pig for briggs, we love kaw all the way;
  8. Real Green

Real Green LawnSite Senior Member

Trust me grassman (for what it's worth, since you don't know me other than here) :laugh:, you are no guinea pig. Briggs has done some amazing work long before others started switching to this motor. The A-team members were the closest to guinea pigs as Briggs took all of our motors back to break them down and see just how well they were holding up. I am giving this motor two thumbs up.

Not to mention, Z-Spray builds top quality and has to compromise that. Do you honestly believe that they would put their rep on the line for an engine swap and make you guinea pigs? No, they wouldn't. For your sake though, since you do sound passionate about not wanting a B&G, I hope the unit they ship you has the Kawasaki! :laugh:
  9. grassman177

thanks, plus we are full of parts to service all kaw engines. everything we have has them except our kubota diesels and the hondas for all our aerators and verticuters. dont need more parts to keep around. i guess i do have to beieve that briggs is getting better due to the high use of them now on lots of machines, you put me in my place
  10. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Real Green & ZSpray are right on. Until TURFCO disclosed the tests they ran on several brands/models of engines, I would not have believed it either. Now I'm a true beliver in certain lines of Briggs engines compared to the rest -- even Honda & Kawasaki.

We put in Castrol Syntec motor oil (full synthetic 10W-30) after the first 40 or 50 hours, and we ran it the rest of the year without changing oil again. After over 300 hours on just one oil change on the Briggs Intek, it never used any oil whatsoever.

With four years in development under their belt, TURFCO took it one step further...... They took our (first) T3000 back to Minneapolis so they could have Briggs "tear apart" the engine to evaluate any worn parts. TURFCO did this on several units that ran in 2008. Now that's proactive service that you don't get from most companies. So it's no wonder why Z-Sprays are switching too.

BTW, Briggs is an "American company" :usflag: compared to Kawasaki & Honda.