z spray fertilizer hopper agitator wire

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ant, May 4, 2011.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

Do you find that fertilizer agitator wire necessary on the hopper shaft ?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

Not at all. It's more of an agitation of my nerves than anything else. I chunked mine.

3. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

Reason why I asked. I was having issues with fert not being distributed properly.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

It caused more problems using than not, stoped suing it about 4 years ago. All it did was cause the fert to cake up around the shaft and then clog the hole. Fert flows just fine without it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. R&S Lawn Care

R&S Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I took mine off, manual says if you use good fertilizer you don’t need it. I found it was grinding up the fert at the bottom. Much better with it off.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I took mine off the second day I used it, was grinding the fert into dust.

7. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

When I get some fert that is clumpy I use the wire. As to the grinding the fert into dust when not spreading, I wish that you could turn OFF the spreader when not in use. Maybe the factory will come out with a shutoff for these machines. Hint to LT Rich.

8. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

some flow is good but i think it is adjustable, call them for shutting off the hyrdo spinner.

i too had none, but then made some of my own with materials i got from ltrich(stainless). so far, no issues from them, dont know if they are helping either!

9. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm not sure, but I don't think you'll be able to turn it completely off. If I'm not mistaken, oil must be kept running through the spinner motor to keep it somewhat cool. I have noticed that my Jr. slows down more than my Jr.36. Also, the rheostat goes to "11" on the Jr.36 and only "10" on the Jr. With the high quality fert I use, the agitator is unnecessary in my opinion. If I were using "ag grade" fert with moonrocks and asteroids in it, it might be different.