Z-spray in a ditch

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grassmasterswilson, Oct 5, 2010.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

So yesterday I am spreading some fertilizer on a new lawn and running on a slope near a ditch. All of the sudden the front takes a turn towards the ditch and begins to slide in. Mostly my fault since I was on the slope, bare ground, and we had 12 inches of rain in the last week. So the Z slides down the 8-10 foot slope hits the bottom and rolls almost upside down in a small creek! First yard of the day and I'm pissed.

Sits in the ditch for an hour of so before I get a buddy with a backhoe to help lift it out. Machine was flooded, but started right up. Only damage was to battery cover! Can't believe nothing else broke! Not the filter, on/off lever, boom ends, or nozzles! So lucky.

My unit is the intermediate and the only knock I have is that it has the 8 inch tires. There is little tread on these tires and are rounded like bike tires not squared off like ztr mower tires. I often have a little problem when going down small slopes. Once you begin to slide they won't get any grip and you can't stop.

what can I do to help with traction? Wish I had upgraded to the 10 inch tires. Thought about lowering the tire pressure, but worry about ground clearance and going over curbs. Didn't take pics, but wish I had so everyone could have gotten a good laugh!!

RABBITMAN11 LawnSite Bronze Member

Order the bigger tires.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

Somebody will say if it was a "T" that wouldn't have happened!!
  4. GreenLightLawnCareInc

GreenLightLawnCareInc LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

So how much product ended up washing down the creek?
  5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Been There Done That. Telling on myself also. Maybe 10 years ago I had the tank fall off the homemade Ric-A-Green on a steep hill and into a canal on a out going tide. The product was half way to the harbor by the time I could call the State Inspector. He was Cool about it and said no use of calling Chemtec because by the time they got there the Product would be in the Gulf of Mexico. What else could we really do?? He didn't want any more paper work, so I got Lucky.
  6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

If that machine were a T3000, would not have rolled in.
  7. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

If that was an XP, it wouldn't have lost traction! Sorry, i couldn't resist the wisecrack! I'm glad there was no serious damage to you or the rig! Those Z's are well built!
  8. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

been there done that. good to hear that all is ok.

i did not know there was different tires until i remembered that they did give a choice, and we got the larger wider tires for ours, and it sticks to hills like glue, especially with the locking castors. i would do yourself the favor and order a wider set, and keep the ones you have as a spare for quick change outs if you ruin a tire etc.
  9. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Luckily I didn't have any liquid product, but lost all the fertilizer in the hopper (30 lbs or so). It was upside down and did my best to catch the gas leaking out. Used it all day today for fert apps and no problems. Thought for sure I might lose a shutoff handle or filter cap, but don't see any problems. Might find some when I fill up for spray apps.....will cross that bridge later!
  10. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

Wide tires help but still break traction and slide