Z-spray intermediate Good?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by J Hisch, Jan 13, 2006.

1. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

I have looked into Perma Green and just fill like I would be filling it up too often to warrant one. Also for for 1500 more I can get z-spray intermediate unit. Are they good units? Also are parts easy to get? I like the hydro pumps rather than tranmission drive system. Also like the bigger spraying capacity, and the ability to carrry 100 lbs with you. What do you owners think?

2. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I haven't picked mine up yet but checked them and PermaGreen out at the Louisville expo. I ended up ordering the Z-Spray Junior, and will pick it up end of Feb. IMHO the Z-Spray seems like a lot more durable machine for the buck than the PG. The Ross wheel motors are a good place to start when comparing the two, I wasn't sold on the PG trans. The motors are another point good for comparison, Z-Spray 17hp Kaw, PG 6.5 Honda.

I looked long and hard at both and at the end of the day when I compare and ask myself which one will be in it for the long haul IMO its the Z-Spray. When I spoke with Brent on the phone I had concerns about servicing, but believe this can be addressed by my Scag dealer should the need arise, and he will be able to do any warranty work should there be need.

Do a search in this forum for Z-Spray, I don't think you will find nary a soul bashing them.
    Also go to their website get the phone # and just give those guys a call they will be happy to answer any questions.

3. Puttinggreens

Puttinggreens LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from southeast PA

I agree with Green-Pro, do a search, you won't find any bad comments from owners of the Z. Also, do call Tom Rich at Z spray and talk to them.

My Z spray intermediate arrived this past May. What a great machine, only problem I have had is minor, the foot switch needs to be replaced, which from what I have read Tom Rich will send out under warranty.

This is a solid machine and a revenue producer.

4. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

do a search on ebay under 'lesco' and there's one for sale (it's an older one, but i'm sure it's still a great mechine). there is also a z-plugger for sale

5. TOMMY1115

TOMMY1115 LawnSite Member

Not sure about the specs on the z-sprayer, but if it's similar to Lesco's z-sprayer, your spraying capacity is about the same.
    I think the Lesco Z has a 30 or 40 gallon tank that will spray about an acre, with a 120# hopper and can carry 1-2 extra bags.
    The Perma Green has a 12 gallon tank that sprays 50,000 sq ft holds 125#, but no place for extra bags.
    I guess one plus for the PG is that it is more compact so there is no need for a separate trailer as you can buy a carrier that fits into your hitch.
    But, like i said, i'm not sure about the specs of the Z-spray so this might not be relivant.

6. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you sure about these figures in the context you are using them? Last time I checked 43,560 sq feet =1 acre

7. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

I've run a Z-Spray intermediate for a year and a half. Not one problem. The
    Spyker holds 120lb of fert and you can get 60/M sq ft out of the 20 gal tank of herbicide. Only complaint I have is that I didn't buy it sooner.

8. FINN

FINN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.

I've run them both. Neither one is perfect and both have a following.

I own a Z Spray Intermediate. It felt more "familiar" from an operating standpoint for me. The after sale support has been excellent. It's a durable machine.

Run them both before you buy.

9. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I own a PG Ultra, a Z-Spray max, and just picked up an old Encore for a backup machine and large area aerator.

The PG and Z-spray both have their place in my business. The PG is perfect for almost all of my residential. And the Z is ideal for the bulk of my commercial.

The z-spray is probably a little more user friendly in my opinion.

You need to run both to get a feel for which will fit your business better.

The z-max is too big for 95% of my residential but I have not demo'd the smaller units that Tom offers.

Both companies have stepped up to the plate with their customer support.

I guess it just boils down to testing each and finding the right fit for your company. As little help as that may be.

10. TOMMY1115

TOMMY1115 LawnSite Member

The only one i'm not sure of is the Lesco z-sprayer. I guessed at what I thought the tank size and coverage is. All the others are correct. The PG has a 12 gallon tank that covers 50k.