Z SPRAY Question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Runner, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Can anyone tell me if they have done any modifications to their nozzles to make it spray larger droplets - more like the Perma-green. This was a concern that was brought up, that I had not yet gave much thought to. I would like to know the drift factor on these, since not only do they run more pressure, but it looks as if the nozzles are pointing forward a bit while pointing downward. Perhaps someone that has run both of these machines can clear up some of the differences with these. Any and all information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  2. turfsurfer

turfsurfer LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know about the drift factor, but having run both machines, I believe the nozzles on the PG are actually set to spray more forward while the Z-spray sprays more down. The Z-spray uses Teejet AI nozzles which are low drift. I use it to trim all but the very tightest or sensitive areas. Tom Rich can tell you more than I know but I'm pretty sure the droplet size is bigger than that from the PG. Coverage and spray rates can be adjusted by swapping out nozzles. I actually use the yellow tips to get the 1/3 gal per 1000 rate at 4 mph. I go a little slower than most so I can see the weeds coming up and zap them when I'm spreading fert. It still beats hell out of making 2 trips over lawn. Best part is no product all over me at end of day.
  3. greenerpastures

greenerpastures LawnSite Member

One of the best features of the z is that its spray system is standardized with the ag industry. You could replace most of the components with off-the-shelf spray supplies from a farm supplier. You can run with any brand of ag nozzle. It uses quick-connect nozzle bodies that can be changed in about a minute. The teejet air-induction nozzles that Tom ships with it are still among the best available for drift control. Of course, you can easily reduce the pressure and reduce droplet size also.