z-spray settings?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grassmasterswilson, Sep 7, 2007.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

just got a jr and have been trying to calibrate the machine. what are your flow settings/spinner settings for fertilizer? I am looking for 10 pounds per 1000. As for the spray settings looks like i got around 2500 sq ft per gallon at 4 mph. what psi are you guys running before cutting on spray and during spraying?

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Did you say you are trying to put down fertilizer at 10 pounds per 1000 sq ft? Seems too high to me. I estimate you would run out of a 50 pound bag of fertilizer in 1 minute and 25 seconds.

Why not use something like 24-0-11--and apply at about 4 pounds per 1000 sqft.

3. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

i got a new jr a few months ago you didn't get an owners manual with it?i spray with mine at 5mph with the 1/3 gallon nozzle in it mine is red it sprays 3k per gallon so my 18gal tank will cover 54k sq ft.hoep this helps

4. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

10 lbs per 1000?

what is the mix of the fertilizer, how much nitrogen are you trying to put down per 1000 sqft?

i'm with riggle, seems abit steep to put it mildly:)

5. grassmasterswilson

from nc

the fertilizer is 16-4-8 and i figured the rate to be about 10 pounds per 1000.

gregory - I did get a manual and I felt that 5 mph was a little fast for a first time user. I just wanted to check to see how close I had calibrated my machine.

6. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

How did you figure that? 10 pounds of 16-4-8 puts over a pound and a half of nitrogen down per thousand sf, which is a ridiculous amount of N at any time of the year. Given your current weather - near or over 90 for at least the next 10 days - you'd be lucky to put out half that much without blowtorching the lawns.

7. grassmasterswilson

from nc

my mistake on the fertilizer amounts. It should be around 6.25 per 1000 sq ft and that makes the settings on the machine different. Looks like the dial should be around 6.75 or 7 with the impeller at 5.5.

8. grassmasterswilson

from nc

I am assuming that you purchased different nozzles. Mine came with the lavender nozzles. I did a couple of test with q4 and I now think that i need to increase the spray amount to get better coverage. I was also thinking of getting a higher rate nozzle.

9. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

your right mine did come with lavender nozzles..i bought some more from lt rich and they are red and they put out 1g per k at 5mph...what kind of 16-4-8 are you putting out ?i know lesco has the setting for the spyker spreader on there bags just set it on that that should get you close and for that setting you need to do 3mph and i run my impeller at 5.5 or 5 the higher you run it the futher it throws it....when you sprayed q4 out did you multiply the amount on the label times 3? say if the label says 1oz per 1000 you need to put in 3oz per 1000 with those nozzles make sense....

10. grassmasterswilson

from nc

i sprayed a gallon of water and figured out my squarefootage per tank to get the rate. I think I used about 4 oz per gallon of q4. your way is much easier and I never thought about it. I don't use lesco cause the closest one is 1 hr drive away. my 16-4-8 comes froma local dealer (coastal chemical) and is a 25% slow release. thanks for your help.