Z-Spray SS

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by D.J. VS, Feb 18, 2003.

1. D.J. VS

D.J. VS LawnSite Member
    from Mich.

Hello to everyone.

I am new the this site and i have a few questions about the Z-spray SS. We run a commercial lawn maintenance company with about 10million sq. ft. to treat every round. We do four to five rounds. We were looking at the PG but it seems to be made for smaller sites. Our average site is 30,000 sq ft. with our largest being just under 10 acres to treat. I am leaning towards the Z spray but i wanted to get a few opinions.

Thank you

DJ

2. What makes the PG unit to do only small stuff?

I do well over a million sq/ft on some days with it no problem.

No one has the SS Z-Spray unit on here.

Both machines can treat an acre in about 15 min.

If you got the money for the Z-Spray buy it.

But I hear the new Ultra PG is a better unit than past ones and I have the last years Centri model.

Still not sold on it yet.

3. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I don't like their balance - too front heavy and the spreader is too far in front of the turning point making it have less effective manueaverability than other units.

The SS is new. It still has a truck-box coating on the lower frame. (The ones at Louisville did anyway) That's the part that you really need the stainless components.

It's possibly the best unit available "off the shelf", but a mere shadow of the equipment we build ourselves.

4. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I have a Z-spray that is basically the same thing as the SS. I also have a Junior without the sprayer. Let me make a few points about these units.

I have applied in excess of 150 tons of fertilizer with them. They are without a doubt the best unit there is.

The reason that the unit has the coating on the base is because there are huge stresses involved in the base and stainless is just too soft to take those. Using high carbon steel in the base allows it to take much more stress.

The balance issue is a fact but negated when you use common sense on hills with it. I made a few mods to mine. I took the buckets off the back second day I owned it and in their place mounted platforms that I can stand on behind the wheel. This has allowed me to hold hills better sideways and down. Yes I have to plan ahead when I am going to run out but this has never been a problem.

I don't see the problem about the spreader being too far ahead when it comes to maneuverability. I have not had a problem in tight areas or large. I have used this to apply anywhere from 2 lbs. to up to 20lbs. per 1000, in 5000 to over 10 acre sites. It worked in all those situations.

I have yet to buy a machine that I have not heavily modified. We all do this to some extent. We need to make a machine fit our needs. I find that in my situation there is not another machine that does what it does as well as the Z-spray and is as well made. I have had virtually no down time with them. I could not operate without them.

They are expensive, but not even close to what a CS turf tracker costs. These machines are overbuilt. They are tough.

Anyway, hope this has helped you some.

5. D.J. VS

D.J. VS LawnSite Member
    from Mich.

This will be the first machine that i have ever owned for applications. So i need something that i can learn with and still get decent production with. The PG looks like it a good machine but i thought (and that's why i asked) the Zspray could get even more done.

Morturf,
    Did you just take the baskets off the back and weld a flat plate to stand on? Also do you have any experience with the extra tank that Tom has an option. He states that it takes 15-20 min to remove the hopper and add another tank to increase your capacity to 60gals. Thought it would be nice for parks and schools.

D.J.

6. Morturf does all granular applications if I am not mistaken.

As for the extra tank, for the one application, it's not worth the time, money, and aggravation to add another tank. Might save a whole hour, that you will probably spend doing the switch.

7. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I don't do only granular, I do mostly granular. I have a Toro workman with a custom sprayer that is for large areas. I also have the large Z-spray outfitted for spraying as well. I do quite a bit of large area spraying for weeds and insects. I just don't blanket spray every property.

I would agree with LGF as far as the extra tank. If you are going to use it a lot, only then would it be worth it. As far as mine is concerned, I have again modified it to my uses, i get 2 acres out the 40 gal tank, less than what he gets but I like my tip setup better, not a big fan of those wide area tips. Just my thing. I use less than 15psi and get the coverage I like with less drift than those ai tips.

Hope this helps.
    Mike

8. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

Mike (morturf),

What tips are you using? I can't complain about the AI Tips, but I'm always looking for something better.

9. D.J. VS

D.J. VS LawnSite Member
    from Mich.

Morturf,
    Could you send me a picture of your Workman set up with the sprayer. I am sure that i could put it together but i always like to see someone else's equipment.

email them to me at

djslawnservice@tds.net

Thanks

D.J.

10. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

This may sound dumb but what's a Z-spray?
    I'm familiar with turf trackers an perma-greens but don't know anything about this. I'm looking for something reasonable to do large areas and even contemplated adding an out front spreader and a ATV size boom sprayer to a 17 hp lawn tractor that I have. Is there a website?
    :confused: