Z-Spray vs Permagreen

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by phopkins, Sep 6, 2007.

1. phopkins

phopkins LawnSite Member

For those who have actually used these machines can you tell me how much approx. sqft you can cover in an hour with granule and liquid?
    Thanks!

2. kenel

kenel LawnSite Member
    Male, from Chicago, il

I spread about 15-20 acres of gated community homes (usually with various hills) in a day on my own on a Permagreen. Biggest problem I have is that it loses versatility when it's semi-wet out, and the hopper is full (both traction, and harder to turn around corners and make its way up hills). Instead of 150, I sometimes use 100lbs, which lessens how much I can spread because I'm refilling it more. These are homes though, not open fields, and I'm not traveling house-to-house in between spreads in the truck, so I may not be the best example. Usual spreading day is about 6-7 hours of actual spreader use.

I know I don't have a per hour basis, but you can do the math (I don't have the time right now, sorry).
    Never used the liquids.

3. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a z-spray jr o can do my yard which is 40k of turf in about 20min or so...it goes by very fast it might be even less then 20min its alot easier and quicker then a push spreader.....

4. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

You cant go wrong with either one! if you do larger properties I would lean towards the Zspray. if your doing lots of medium to small residential I would recommend the PG. I have the PG Magnum and I think the carrying rack over pulling a trailer is a big plus!

5. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Agree with Indy!

It takes me exactly 20 minutes to spray and spread an acre. I can fill in about 5 minutes (fill, add chem and fert), and I am good to go again.

Doesn't matter what machine you use...they are all very effecient!

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

With my PG Ultra I use up a 50 lb bag of 19-0-6 in about 4 and half minutes.

Another way, I cover about 10 feet wide and go 360 feet per minute OR about 3600 sqft per minute. Times 60 minutes, would be 216,000 sqft--which would be the upper limit.

But allow for filling 17 bags, and refilling the tank 5 times, fill gas tank twice, just a guess--I think 100,000 sq ft per hour would be possible.

In fact I have a property site at 67,000 sq feet (parts of which I have to do small areas by hand)--took me 63 minutes last month.

7. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

That's Awesome!

I love my PG, but take it for granted!

I treat it like GOLD cleaning it everyday after use and maintain it to look like new....but sometimes I forget how easy it makes my job!

8. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

My problem with the Z-Spray............I'd have to travel hundreds of miles to try one out. I can test drive a PG anyday right here right now.

9. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

100,000 is exactly where I'm at with the Magnum. 2 1/2 acres/hour with stopping to fill.

10. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

you should test drive one...i drove the pg first then test drove the the z jr...it takes no effort to turn the jr at all with the hopper full or not ...the hopper can be full and the tank can have 18 gallons of water in it and it turns very easy....turns alot shaper also...but it did seem like the pg was funnier and more stable on hills...