1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Z spray

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GrazerZ, Sep 30, 2004.

1. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

Looking heavy at the z spray max. Liked the hylander but thought the price was crazy. What to you that have used the z spray makes it worth it. And what drawbacks have you found?
  2. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

I am considering a z as well.
    There have been more than a few threads about this already and I have not seen any down falls of the z-spray so far.
    I also spoke with Tom Rich awhile back. (He is the owner of z-spray-L. T. Rich) and he seems like a very stand-up guy.

Anybody else care to comment?
  3. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

I also have alot of intrest in the zspray, however the only thing that holds me back is the hopper. I am so use to the lesco hoppers, and I had a hard time getting use to the centri because it has the same hopper as the z

Also once I start adding on routes and employees I dont want several types of machines out there, I would like it if they all had the same type of spread pattern. That being said, Im not sure if I would ever buy another pg, So im in a little of a pickle
  4. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

Like James said, the only thing about that machine that worries me is the hopper. I had the same hopper on my original PG's and they were lousy. Then I upgraded to the new ones (not lesco, and cant think of name right now) and they worked well for me.
  5. Greg Amann

Greg Amann LawnSite Member

We have our second z spray max in the last 6 years. We will be getting another in February. Not any drawbacks with them as far as we are concerned, when you weigh out the production of the machine.
    Yesterday my business partner did 10 acres between 10am and 5pm.
    We find they last 3 years at best. We replace any small part that rusts or breaks in that 3 years with stainless which helps get us the 3 years. This last one we had to replace the engine in at about 1400 hours. The first one still runs well but only had 800 hours on it in its 3 year life. It didn't have a stainless deck and the deck went first. Small things here and there that we change to extend the life or make better help I'm sure.
    It is very expensive but easily pays for itself as long as you have the accounts to take care of.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

tom will stand behind his machines and they work great
  7. GrazerZ

thanx for the imput. I got the sense that Tom was a good guy to do business with. I like alot of the features of his machine. I was a little concerned when he told me that he does'nt put foam markers on them because the fert eats them up. I know that I won't buy a PG, I saw them at lesco and was interested until my rep said that I would be better off getting any parts directly from the manufacturer. sounds like I would be left out in the cold if I bought one. Also others feedback didn't impress me either.
  8. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you read the thread at the top, "It's gotta be Perma-green"?
  9. Dman1214

Dman1214 Banned

U only get 3 years out of your z-sprays? Seems like a short life span for a machine that costs 8 grand - can u please expound on this? I just bought my first (intermediate with 10 ft boom option) and your 3 year statement has me concerned. THANKS
  10. GrazerZ

Yea I read the thread about the PG, very interesting. just wanted to start a narrow focused thread on the Z spray. What Greg said about three years does'nt concern me considering that he put 800hrs on it in three years. Thats alot of hrs to me. And it would be alot of profit also.