z spray's ride on core-aerator

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ant, Mar 25, 2005.

1. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Sub those guys out!!! :dizzy: Sounds like Scott's is at 15 / k that is about what we get here.

Thanks for the input on the plugger on the small lawns. I have a big debate in my head (and paper) as to which should be my next machine.

2. turfsurfer

turfsurfer LawnSite Senior Member

I wish we could get 15 per K here. Too many low guys. Only the national chains trying it and too many guys think a competitive price means discounting 75%. Anybody heard of knocking just a few bucks off? I admit I offer a pretty good aeration deal for new customers signing up for full service or customers who get me several referrals but these are guys that all they do are aerations.
    Scott's is actually really raising the bar on prices this year. If only TGCL would follow suit, fert prices in general could go up here.
    As far as the Z-plugger. It works really well for me but with that kind of money involved, I still recommend you try one for yourself before committing. No problem on smallish yards though. Actually like aerating again.

3. thomsoutdoor

thomsoutdoor LawnSite Platinum Member

Seeing we are talking about riding aerators has anybody tried the walker mower with the aerator attachment?

4. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

well after 5 mo. of owning the aerator it done me well so far.
    it made my job easier and i was able to do the jobs at a cost my clients can afford.
    i still have not got a aeration pattern down pat yet, one guy was saying that a "zamboni pattern" works out..
    ant

5. turfsurfer

turfsurfer LawnSite Senior Member

I've still got about 70 jobs to go this Fall but so far I think the Zplugr rocks. Especially if I get on a wide open yard (big or small as 5k), I will just take that thing and do circle after circle. There is no way anyone around me is pulling anywhere near the same number of plugs as I can with this unit, let alone in the same amount of time. Best of all, absolutely no fatigue!!
    Yes, the soil still has to have some moisture to pull a good plug, but the Z-Plugr does as well as my Ryan V.

6. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

sufer..you are 100% right..
    i have the 36'' unit and it does a great job.
    do you feel that it does better going in left circles then right? you would think that it makes no difference but it does on my unit..
    i carry a small rubber mallet and a drift pin and clean out the spoons now and then..seems to pick up alot of stones and clog the spoons..

7. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Funny you should say that Ant, I thought something was wrong with mine but it does turn easier to one side.

I also thought that the z plugger does better than the walk behinds in dry conditions. It is so dry around here that I didn't even think I would be able to go out and aerate. I wouldn't have even tried a walk behind but decided to see what kind of plugs I would be pulling with this new mach. It didn't pull the same kind of plugs under moist conditions, but it did pull plugs.

8. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

ITS MAKEING ME MONEY payup

ZPLUGER2222.jpg

9. Mr.GreenJeans89

Mr.GreenJeans89 LawnSite Member

Yeah it would be nice to get rid of the cutthroats but unfortunatly there will always be an idiot that thinks wear and tear on equipment,gas and labor are worth jack#@*#:confused:

10. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

I get $25 per 1000 I use a walk behind on the edges and a hooker , no not a call girl, a JRCO hooker it works pretty good, I overlap 50% so its the same as 2 passes