Z-Steer...steering downhill.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighGrass, Jul 19, 2005.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Anyone one else have problems with this.

I have a few lawns that have a slight slope that I run up and down (becasue they are longer that way).

Anyway, going up hill my line is straight as an arrow.

As soon as I start going down hill it's very difficult to keep it straight. Seems like the hydro likes to be under a load in order to keep it straight.

????

2. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

If the hill is really steep your rear tires are probably skidding.

3. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Only on 45 degree banks :p

4. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

i know what you mean, the seem to be real sensative going down a hill. I don't have an answer for it besides trying your best to keep steady.

5. HighGrass

from Z5 MA

If you re-read the first thread, the operative word was "Slight" hill. :blob3:

6. HighGrass

from Z5 MA

As long as I slowly add forward presure to the control levers, I can keep it to a minamum. When it's maxed or when you try to hold a certain speed, it starts to get squirally.

7. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

When you are going down a steep hill all your weight is going to your front tires where you dont need or want it. You must try and keep the majority of the weight on the rear tires which is what you are controlling that machine with.

8. HighGrass

from Z5 MA

First, as I said in the first thread, it happens on slight hills as well as stepp hills. Second, since it's happening on slight hills, I don't think weight distribution is the issue. The issue I believe has more to do with the lack of control one has over the hydro system. It's too jerky when there is a "no load" situation as in any surface that is even SLIGHTLY down hill.

9. waffletown20

waffletown20 LawnSite Member
    from PA

I find just literally inching down the hill will prevent the skidding and loss of control. If it takes you too long just go across and be extra careful turning around. Z's can be great on hills with practice practice practice. Go slow!

10. HighGrass

from Z5 MA

It appears that I either am not communicating well enough, or some of you guys just are not reading this thread.

I started this thread because I noticed that when ever I start down ANY KIND OF GRADE, slight OR otherwise, steering the machine is alot different than going up hill. What I mean is that even on a SLIGHT down hill, you have to be right on top of the sticks to keep it straight. It's NOT skidding!