z tearing up turf....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jrodgers, Aug 24, 2001.

1. jrodgers

jrodgers LawnSite Member

Any advice on not tearing up turf with a Z? I have had a Toro Z Master for about 2 months now and still tear up turf sometimes. I mostly have a problem when going around trees and mostly on those shallow rooted shady lawns. Is there any other way to turn without doing the k-turn thing that just seems to take so long. Have tried to turn both wheels in different direction while turning( you know what I'm talking about ) but that seems to make divits(sp?). Is it someting you just have to get used to? All in all I can drive it pretty well.

2. leaflawnandlimb

leaflawnandlimb LawnSite Member

do a search, lots of threads on that topic

3. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

My answer is go slow and don't go over and over the same path.Turn your throttle down on bad areas also.

4. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Ya know... I was thinking about this today. Why? Because my Lazer is tearing up turf. It pisses me off! Even when I do the k it still tears in a little. If the ground is just a little damp... forgetaboutit. Even if I go super slow... divot. Ya know why? Because the machine is too heavy.

Thank God for reseeding... Lay it down heavy too... thicker turf equals less of a divot.

5. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

It's mainly something you just have to get used to. I use a little trick all the time. When you want to zero turn, come to a stop, start going into reverse pulling both levers back, then push forward the lever of your choice, but keep the other one going in reverse. I call it the "Vibe Turn".....hehe

6. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

So that's what it's called...the "Vibe Turn".

This technique works well for me on my Lazer...especially when its damp.

It took a little while to "find the groove" when I got the Lazer but now I rarely divot...

...now its those occasional 'white-knuckle' downhill slides that get me. :D

7. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

i dont go complettly around trees that dont have mulch it makes inside tire tear turf. i just go to one side or the other and if i have to get on another pass that i just done.. i fix it with a dbl cut.
    i used to go around every thing. not now. it seems this way is faster and puts more detail in the stripes .makes them look like you just drove rite thruogh the tree.
    as for turning at the ends try the 3 point turns .or like some one said stop at the end and push one and pull one this takes 2 times so do your first 90 and stop go foward till your back wheels are in the middle of your next pass and do it again completing the other 90 stop and you should be straight in line for your pass .if not just back up a little so you get on line.
    it will take some time to learn to turn. i find my self tearing turf trying to hurry and not thinking right(the mom on that show caller grounded for life ) so slow down for turns and keep your mind on your work.

8. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

rdh says:

"i dont go complettly around trees that dont have mulch it makes inside tire tear turf. i just go to one side or the other and if i have to get on another pass that i just done.. i fix it with a dbl cut.
    i used to go around every thing. not now. it seems this way is faster and puts more detail in the stripes .makes them look like you just drove rite thruogh the tree."

Absolutely right! And if you order a OCDC for the Lazer (called "The Director") from York Sheetmetal you can also do this trick around mulched areas too! :D

Just flip the handle to close the chute and no grass clippings in the mulch! Too cool!

9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

course we could always getus a craftsman lt. it dont weigh much.
    holdit fellers ima ducking.:D aright fire away:p

10. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

oops
    i ment to spell called (that show called grounded for life)
    my dane chariot has the steering leavers in the middle and if i dont keep my mind on my work the mower will not go in reverse :D lol